Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

One tractor...

ReedS

I needed only one tractor today, the 3112v with the loader, it moved my 10" of heavy wet snow, the piles left behind from the lone plow truck that made it here, it moved the downed limbs one by one til I could come and go as needed then it hauled my nights firewood to the house, nary a plaint, no task unfinished for today, as there will several days ahead of tree clean up, one tractor, how simple can it be? Tommorrow may be different as it may take more than to finish what mother nature's fury hath wrought. I wish I had photos, alas I do not only words tonight. Btw Dan I hope you guys made it safely, home, as it's amazining what can change in 24 hrs!

Yes, we made it home safely about noon Sunday. BTW, don't you work for Mass. DOT? Where were you while we sat in the middle of I90 for over an hour waiting for someone to move the tree ??:D:D We gave up at the 2nd to last service plaza, after it took 3 1/2 hours to get there from Putnam. That was about 10 pm, 6 to 8 inches in the road. Not sure what there was at 5 am, 10? 12? 14? but the roads were just wet, cleaned up nicely by Mass DOT ;);) All in all, it was a decent trip, nice to meet you, and I enjoyed meeting Ford, and seeing Kent and Kirk again. Wish we could have chatted longer with everyone, but in that weather, we had to go.

Dan, I'm surprised that it took that long to give up, road conditions were some of the worst I've seen. As far as the tree near I190, I work on the pike out towards Springfield, though my job title is mechanic, I was out driving trucks and loaders. Working off of my phone so that's part of why no photos as I have yet to know how to post them directly from here! Gotta go work on the generator now hopefully it's just out of gas!

yep, somewhere around Springfield it was. I don't remember exactly where, the mile markers were all covered in snow. There were 2 trees down across the Pike, a few miles apart. The eastern most one got 2 cars, not sure if it came down on the cars, or they didn't see it and ran into it. After about an hour someone (I think just a traveler) cut it up with what sounded like a battery operated chainsaw, while other drivers dragged it off the road. The second one, a few miles west, was a little smaller. Traffic got around it on the left shoulder, but with the limited visibility, It wouldn't surprise me if someone hit that one before it got moved. I've seen conditions worse than that, but not often. We were trying to drive out of it. Another 40 miles, it would have gotten a lot better, and about 70 miles would have gotten us out of it,,, I can handle the road condition, but I quit when I lost all my visibility. I can drive in almost anything if I can SEE it. LOL As far as I know, it quit snowing between 3 and 4 where we were, and by 6 the road was just wet, so the Mass Pike crew did one h*** of a job getting it cleaned up. Kudos to them (you).

We've never this many trees down at one time like this in all the years that I can remember! I have long thought that the road (turnpike) should be cut back much further than it is just for this kind of situation! As bad as it is/was the other roads are/were in much worse condition, the main roads were reduced to one lane and at no time was that one lane on any particular side of the road! I was scraping branches on all sides of my truck to get back home Sunday. My generator was just low on fuel as I think the tank screen is plugged up but I'll work on that the next time it runs out of gas! LOL As we were short on manpower and it was a quick storm the pike cleaned fairly well. Now off to do some more clean up, gonna have to put the chipper on the 2110! Plenty of work for it to do!

Yep, we're still without power at home since 6:30 Saturday evening -- though we have power at work in Southbridge. I got a foot of wet heavy stuff on the hill at my house. I've never seen snow bring down oaks the way this one did... Good seeing you guys, but like Dan mentioned I wish the weather would've allowed more BS... :D

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Yep, we're still without power at home since 6:30 Saturday evening -- though we have power at work in Southbridge. I got a foot of wet heavy stuff on the hill at my house. I've never seen snow bring down oaks the way this one did... Good seeing you guys, but like Dan mentioned I wish the weather would've allowed more BS... :D
The oaks took it hard here to, they keep their leaves late and that makes them hold a LOT more snow. Only lost the power for 3 hours Sunday morning here. Lucky. The snow was heavy but only real wet where it was melting agains the unfrozen ground.