Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Built-tough

SImplicity Landlord, 2012 68. Need help with shift

Built-tough
Got snow today... and i was plowing then i came up with a question. When you put it in second gear, drive then stop and try to switch it out of second gear, it is very hard to get out of second, but not any other gear. I guess this is a common problem but what causes it? any body know? Thank you!

steve-wis
My only guess would be that when you are plowing, you push into a pile or drift and then stop. If you push the clutch pedal all the way down, the brake is on and you are holding the tension against the gears that is created by the wheels wanting to go forward and the blade trying to push back. I would try to push the clutch in only half way, let the tractor find its own stopping place, and then try shifting. If this isn't the problem, I would assume it would be from wear in the shift linkage or shifting forks. Hope this helps. Steve

Built-tough
Thanks Steve. Ill investigate more tomorrow, but one thing i do know is this only happens in second gear and i always stop fully before changing gears. I also tried pushing the clutch and before the tractor fully stopped, tried to get it out of second but it was still hard like it gets stuck in that gear or something. I have to hit it to get it out of second gear. Thanks again!

Talntedmrgreen
I have the same condition on one of my 3-speeds. My gut tells me it's the shift blocks hanging up, and I'm not thrilled about it. I'd be interested to hear the input of the group. The first time it happened, I thought it had locked up, and I almost got the bent screwdriver out, but was able to knock it back into neutral like you mention.

dentwizz
Sometimes when plowing or doing other harsh jobs the gears can shift on thier respective keyways. This results in imperfect meshing. Usually for me it's the 3rd/reverse that gets mesh issues and has to get bumped before going in, though sometimes 2nd/rev can do it while plowing. Similar note to Steve-wis's remark.