Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 LL won't go into gear

KenN

Hello, all of a sudden today the LL won't go into any gear. The shifter moves very freely. It is connected all the way back to the bgb, and the shaft is moving through the bgb. Just not engaging the gears. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ken

you mean the trans not center BGB. if it will shift into gears and not move then check the drive pulley keyway. start it up, put it in gear and see if the trans output shaft is spinning inside the pulley.

Is the yoke at the outside of the transmission connected properly? The bolt inside the yoke is a wear item, but it is a standard bolt. If that is intact and you are in fact getting full motion inside the trans, your shift forks or gears are askew inside. One test while you are at it is to stick a screwdriver in the transmission side of the shifter linkage(the rod end) and move it around. This is just a double check to make sure the linkage external is not slopping too much. The trans is not impossible to repair either, let's take it a step at a time;)

quote:
Originally posted by KenN
dentwizz, Thanks for your replies. Yes the yoke is in tact. I do not understand where to check with the screwdriver. Ken
unbolt the shifter and manual move the trans slide pin around . ok, so you say your shifter moves north and south but will not go into any east/west gear slots ?. now these are known to get stuck in between gears and shifter still will move. but thats another issue.

quote:
http://gardentractortalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6355&c=619 Found a link to a pic of my 64 LL
nice lookin tractor, now lets get that bugger fixed :D

quote:
yes, full travel, but no clicking into gear.
just reread this post again. double check that yoke, did you check and make sure the keyway is good in the drive pulley on the trans. ?. the pulleys maybe spinning but if the trans output shaft is not then it will act as if there is no gears. hope this is nothing internal.

thats not good sm00, sounds like the trans is gonna have to come out and taken apart. easy way is just to swap another tranny from a parts tractor. and then you have all winter to tear into it and see what happen. keep us posted.

Ken, I took time to read this thread. I will check the spare in the barn tomorrow, and post the results. I have not touched it for years, but if I recall the story when I got it, it is a good unit. It was good to talk to you today. It seems we did not get to visit at the Pioneer show last summer. Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update. Thanks to member JimDK, got a transaxle and installed it on the LL. It was from a later allis so there were some minor differences. But all is good and took for a test drive this morning.Thanks again Jim and all who offered suggestions. Ken

quote:
Just an update. Thanks to member JimDK, got a transaxle and installed it on the LL. It was from a later allis so there were some minor differences. But all is good and took for a test drive this morning.Thanks again Jim and all who offered suggestions. Ken
thats good to hear. and jsut in time for the snow sm00