Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dave7016

vacuum collector clogging

Karl_Brandt
I have vacuum on my Simplicity 7116H with trailer. Mine also clogs on a bigger pile of leaves or when they are wet. You have too go slower on the bigger pile or leaves. I wait for the leaves to be dry out before I pick them up with the vacuum. I also took the curved metal part off the vacuum that goes inside the hose to the trailer......reduces the un plug time^
[img]/club2/attach/Karl_Brandt/Image065.jpg[/img]
Karl

GregB
I also mow/vaccuum with a 917 42" deck, plastic boot with no stone guard in place. It will occasionally jam in the plastic boot if I pick up walnut leaves and thier sticks to fast. Dry and partial passes help also.

RayS
Gator blades seem to make a big difference to me. Chops up leaves to where 1 cart full use to be 3 on my lawn. The finer it is chopped the less plugging of the is what I have experienced.

Willy
I vac with my Big-10 and find when the leaves are thick I Have to use low gear just a normal coverage I can use second gear,If I pay attention I don't get a clog unless the trailer fills up and I don't catch it in time.

LesH
Also-- Make sure there are no scews sticking in on the inside of the tube, vaacuum impeller area and deck. Check for any "burrs" on the insides. I had just one short screw at the deck outlet sticking out and the leaves would hang up on it till everything clogged up. Gator blades help a lot. I sanded and painted the insides of the impeller housing and cutting deck--- smoother?? Don't take too big of bite-- raise the deck up and then take several passes to get those leaves. Clean-- tap or shake out the engine air filter often, as I was surprised at how dusty that filter got. Good Luck!!!