Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC - somehitng bent not sure what...

comics22

Ok i recently aquired this mower and it runs great and steered normal untill i snagged the front wheel in our ditch and it pushed the front left wheel back because it didnt go up the hill... well after that i immediately noticed it steers really sharp left but right is like a wide arcing rainbow. it used to decently sharp and even in both directions. Obviously something got bent but i checked everything and nothing obvious. It doesnt appear to have skipped a gear in the steering shaft or anything either. I noticed the sectorgear to left wheel linkage bar is relatively new. It had an s shape to it from the factory but im wondering if i made it even more S shaped effectively shortening it... Between the front wheels the tierod bar is straight as an arrow and it tracks straight... Im sure i aint the first to do this... **Posting of pictures is only allowed by paying members**

You probably bent the rod coming from the steering gear to the front axle(commonly known as the drag link). If it has an S shaped to it, you could try straightening it out a little if it is not adjustable.

Wish I could help you more, but I can't tell anything from this picture. I am not really familiar with this series of tractor at all. I deal only with the large frame tractors that have horizontal shaft engines. I guess you will have to wait till one of the members who has one of the 800 series tractors decides to help you out. Sorry.

hard to tell from the pic but i have had a couple of the simplicity equivalent of your machine..i will say that i bent the front axle on both of them turning into a ditch and not even going that fast..they r kind of wimpy..even if it is bent a little, it makes a big difference in turning.simplicity must have saw this was a problem also because on their 4200 series they have made the front axle about a quarter inch thicker and on their 6200 seires, which would be the later equivalent to yours, they have made them about 2 times as thick by welding a peice of flat stock to the front axle it looks like to solve the issue they were having with this particular series...it may not be the axle, that is just what has happened to me...good luck!

How are you even posting pictures with them not being linked to a host site? Payed club members can use the clubs server but non payed members are suppose to be linked from a host site like Photobucket so it isn`t on our servers. In the future please link them from a host site.

Ok finaly got pics, turns so far left the tire hits the deck also on a side note is it just the way these mowers are but if you flex the body on a hill is the deck supposed to engauge even with the lever in disengage?

Tom, I have an 810GT. Never had a problem with axle or steering. I can get pics of mine if that will help you, but probably not till Saturday as I am working big time hours lately. If you would like I can try to get a measurement on the length of the drag link from end to end also. Let me know. Steve

Yes if you can that would be great. I THOUGHT i remember that link being perfectly flat besides the S bend but now its got an S bend and an angle to it and a not so even S bend... If anyone has even just this part so i can see a pic that would be great! Mowing season is over here so i dont NEED it till the spring but now is the time to fix it.

quote:
Originally posted by comics22
whered all my pics go...
Sorry, Your pictures were removed. Paying club members are only allowed to post pictures or links to pictures as part of their dues member benefit. Here are the benefits of becoming a paying club member. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/membership_benefits.asp

tried straightening it, i could not get it to budge... clamping in a vice, wailing on it with a 3 lb sledge nothing could bend it back... i find it hard to belive that the ditch and the wheel bent that 1/2" solid rod like that... what could be other possibilities? could the "pitman arm" be bent or slipped?

I would try heating it to bend it if that is what it needs. You can loosen the lock nuts on either end where the ball joint connects to the rod and screw them either in or out to change the length of the rod also. I would unhook the rod at the steering wheel end, then turn your steering wheel far left, then far right, then center it by counting the turns of the wheel. At this point the rod should hook up with the front wheels straight. If it doesn't, adjust the rod until it does. This will get you close. You can fine tune it a bit if needed after that by turning one of the ball joints either in or out one turn at a time. Steve

If someone replaced yours with a non-adjustable one, you can make it adjustable by sawing it in half, removing an inch or so, and then slipping the ends into a piece of 3/4 dia. steel with a hole drilled thru to fit. Might get lucky and find a pc. of pipe with a good enough fit also. It can be welded at the right length, or you can drill and tap holes for set screws to lock it on one end and welding the other end. Another option is to replace the ends with adjustable ones, at least on one end. A machine shop can cut, thread, or tap whatever you need for not much money. Not sure how easy it would be to find a replacement one used. Jacks has new ones, the drag link is $70, not sure if it includes the ends or not. Ends are $5.58 each. Kind of pricy. Good luck with however you go at it. One more thing, did you try laying the drag link on a solid surface with the S bend up, and pounding down on the bend to make it longer? This might work also. Steve