Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 5008 Broadmoor gear issues

comics22

Hello all, I have a Simplciity Boadmoor 5008 that I cannot get the clutch adjusted right so I can get it in gear!!! Ive adjusted the belt stops, linkages on both brake and clutch just like the owners manual says. I fully push the clutch down and the belt/trans pulley seems to want to keep going and grinds when i try (trust me i havent tried often, 2nd gear already has a chipped tooth from rust/previous owner, speaking of is it possible to get a new one???) Only things i can think of is the belt isn't the correct length yet when i push the clutch in i can slip the belt around the engine pulley relatively easy. Or B when i first got this mower the shifter was rusted in gear so i had to completely disassemble the rear-end get it freed up and fill with new oil. I didn't know what it took so i used 80W90 automotive gear oil we had around. I dont know if i forgot a step or what... I would think when i press the brake and it locks both rear wheels that would stop the input pulley too but it doesnt. Pics of everything below. Oh and also what length of belt do i need for the snow thrower?!?! One manual i have says like a 85" belt another says 101 inch belt... Another issue is the manual says it should have a 8 hp briggs but it has an older 11 hp briggs on it so i dont know if that has anything to do with it... SO far ive had to solder up about 10 gas tank leaks, por 15'ed it hence so shiney and rebuild the carb just to hear it run. (runs beautifully now, starts right up even by hand) **Posting editted. Posting of pictures is only allowed by paid members**

The tractor drive pulley looks to have old rust build up on it that v grove should be clean and smooth.With the correct belt and idler pulley properly adjusted some drag around will occur if R.P.M.is to high and may grind.I must bring my 725 to idle before shifting you may have a combination of rust incorrect belt and not enough idler release

yea i had it slow as it would go idle wise before cutting out when i tried. ill try cleaning up the pulley and getting a new belt so i know for sure its the right size.

I have been having the same problem with the 5008. Only one I've had and it has the original 8hp engine on it. In fact everything looks original, minus the thumb screws. Let me know what you find out!

Its very common for these to have the wrong engine pulleys when the engines get swapped. This can result in the orignal drive belts being the wrong length. My 5010 had a smaller than original pulley but I managed to play with the adjustments enough to get everything working. With different combinations of belt lengths and pulleys, the adjustments listed in the manual become somewhat inaccurate and you just have to go with trial and error until it works.

i tried a brand new heavy duty belt 85 inches like the manual says - way to tight took the original one into the store (Tractor supply) and measured it, 85.5 (its old and prolly stretched) still was too short. said screw it got an 86 inch belt. works great! i thought it would slip as it dosnt have nearly the same tension as the 85" belt with the clutch released but it actually comes to a stop with the clutch fully pressed so i can go into gears perfectly fine. it has enough grab to get by butt up a ditch so it aint slippin. I just got he belt for the snow blow tonight and its working great too! BRING IT ON WINTER!!! put some cheapo harbor freight lights on it, just gotta throw a switch on em and wire em up. Look close to factory origionals.