Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

jrmorrill

Landlord 3210v drive belt

jrmorrill
I've resurrected an long unused 3210v. It's working well except for the drive belt appearing to be sloppy. It vibrates against the rear axle, as it leaves the tension pulley to the rear drive pulley, and seems to be rubbing somewhere else around the front pulley leaving fine rubber shavings near the parking brake lever. The whole variable pulley setup is new to me and I'm wondering if I should buy a new belt (~$70). I don't want to throw money at the problem yet as I don't fully understand it. I've tried adjusting the turnbuckle and managed to make it very difficult to reinstall the belt. :) After some adjustment I got the belt back in place. Any tips on this old variable-pulley tractor are appreciated. Thanks, Jason

dentwizz
Measure the cross section width at the widest part. If it is less than 7/8" wide it should be replaced. New is 1" even. It's a bit of money for the belt but its worth it, and there is no generic alternative(I checked in the summer). Once you replace it all the other stuff will make sense.

jbird243
Ck the bearings on the large variable pulley --- the pulley may stick and not change size size as it should making it impossible to adjust properly. I chased this type problem for years before I determined the cause of having to adjust the linkage continuously to get proper belt tension.