Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Exciting and Electrifying !!! now with pics

rokon2813

I tried this today. Excited the fields on 2 different generators and it worked on both of them. :D:D:D Field Flashing of Portable Generators This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department. As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash the generator: Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless drills do not work) If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward position. Start the generator While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backwards. Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck. As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and the drill will turn on. The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor winding the rotor has been flashed. If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field flash your generator if needed

Thanks Dan for the idea to flash them. LOL I was also told I can stick a 9 volt battery in the curcuit to do it, but like I said that scared me.:O:O

Works great! I did mine tonite, and had results in under 3 seconds. Went from dead to running anything I could find in the garage in no time. Thanks Dan!

quote:
Originally posted by perry
whats that second gen a pincor ?.
I don't know the maker, but the tag says Montgomery Wards :O