Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chain?

HubbardRA

We have always said that there are no dumb questions. I have one that I have never heard mentioned before, so if it is dumb, then everyone can go ahead and laugh! Here goes: What is the correct way to adjust the chain that goes from the tractor frame down to the rear of a sicklebar mower? This appears to only be needed to keep the drive mechanism from dragging the ground when the bar is lifted during transport. Just put my sicklebar mower under a tractor chassis for the first time today, and wasn't sure about this chain. It is not talked about in the sicklebar manual, but it is shown. Mine didn't come with one and I have to make one up. Just wanted to know so I can set the chain up correctly.

Rod, I set mine so it carries the weight of the sickle, so it doesn't slide on the ground all the time. 1/2 to 1" off the ground. Pretty much levels the bar front to back. No idea what "correct" should be.

Dan, I also checked the fit with the runningboards. It doesn't work well with the handle lift. I need to convert to the cable lift and then I can remove the metal that interferes with the runningboard. Gonna be an interesting setup.

The Allis advertising section giving out spec on the manual lift mower http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/sickle_bar_specs.htm says height of cut 3-1/2 ". I would think when bar is unfolded, the chain should be hold the skid shoes about ground level. Keep in mind that the mower operates 40 degrees each way from parallel so it is difficult to control it with hydraulic lift.

Rod, when I had my sickle I adjusted the chain so the main body of the sickle would not "fall" into a hole or ditch line when crossing something. The inner guard must be allowed to follow the ground so it doesn't need to carry the sickle. just keep it from falling to low and throwing the drive belt.

The more awkward thing is if the chain is too tight(i.e. Too high) it can cause a downward angle of attack on the points, leading to more chances of snagging on debris. Better a little low.