Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7114 needs help

Robby

ok, so i recently just got my old 7114 that i've had for 4 years running again after 10 months due to the muffler blowing apart. tractors been in the family since new. i now have yet another issue. shortly before the muffler blew apart, i had washed the tractor and after that it would make a squaling noise from the transmission area of the tractor when it had been sitting. the noise had gone away after about a minute of using the tractor so i had just assumed that i got a brake band wet or something. after getting it running again, it seemed really loud (the squeal) for about a minute and was moderatly squaling while i was driving it around for 5 minutes. upon further investigation, i found the noise only to happen when the shuttle engagement handle was placed in the forward position and the sound was coming from where the planetary gear / drive assembly area. i had never serviced this area because i used to get the mower serviced every year and had assumed they did it. i pried the gear cover off and found that there was very little grease in there. i repacked it with grease and it seemed to help a little, but it still squeals when i start it after it's been sitting. any ideas? thanks.

is the planetary assembly tight and free of play? i think there is a procedure to adjust these shuttle shift units...... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable then I will chime in.

If you have your manufacture ID # you can enter in the Simplicity Manual search (on far left)on the "SimpleTractors" page and your Operators Manual will have "Shuttle adjustments"... I've been there done that many times (I have 2 shuttles now, they need alot of adjusting as brake bands, belts, etc wear) Good Luck...Welcome to the club ^

It sounds like a squeal caused by slippage in the two piece pulley that is locked together by the belt when in the forward position. If the belt is still in good condition, then I would pull it off, clean the belt to remove any oil or other type of lubricant and also clean the two pulley pieces. There should be no lubricant in this area. Using sand paper on the pulley where the belt contacts also helps to stop slipping. Also adjust the belt so that it is tight when in the forward setting. This is part of the factory adjustment, just follow that.

Thanks for the help guys. The planetary assembly seems a little more loose compared to my other shuttles (another 7114, 3415, 7013) but they all seem to be a little loose. And Greg, did you ever have a problem with squaling? And Rod, there is no slipping in the drive. It still drives perfect, it just squaks and squals at first and I'm worried about something being worn out.

Take the planetary off the tranny. Than make sure the pulley parts turn properly and are not wearing heavily into another part. It sounds like two parts are galling together, but loosen up after it is run for a little while. Also, check the fluid in the transmission. You greased the planetary, but the parts in the planetary only turn in reverse.