Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got the cab on, on to the snowblower, and more ??

chuckdog

Finally got the snowblower cab all mounted up. Turned out pretty nice. I think I am going to put a mirror on the right door for backing up seeing as I got a whole pile at an auction this summer for a $1. Might also put some lights on the top with a light bar and a strobe for safety as my driveway ends up on a county highway.

Now onto the next questions, I got a 42" blower from my dad. Was originally on my dad's 718 with front mount pto. I am going to change the hitch in the front to run to the mid pto spot. Can I just use the original hitch, get rid of all the other mounts and weld a plate in the middle for the idler pulley location. If that's the case, I took some measurements off of my dad's mount on his tractor so I can copy it. Does anyone know what length the belt should be? Also, what tires do you guys use for snow. I have the regular turf tires and have a couple sets of chains for the back that I could put on. I also have a set of lug tires for the back and a set I found at the local dump that may work on the front. How would these work in the snow? My driveway is fairly level. Just wondering what your ideas are.

Next thing is the lift rod for the blower I got from my dad is missing the two collars and the spring. I can get the two collars easy but does anyone have the spring in this picture that I am missing.

As soon as I get the snowblower mounted, I am on to making electric chute rotaters for both mine and my dad's. Then let the snow fly.

Just did the same with mine. All mounted but the weights and chains. I ran a 20A breaker and 2 driving light on the roof for more front light and 1 on the back for reverse. Mounted my switches on a L bracket bolted in the top right corner. This should help a lot since I live in the middle of nowhere. Got my headlamp wiring fixed and rerouted hopefully they won't melt to the muffler again....seems to happen on sovereigns all the time! Why the electric rotator? I don't mind the handle as it sits nicely inside the cab.

Well, I got a tractor buddy from on here who kindly set me up with some wiper motors to start with. I really don't need one myself but I would really like to make one for my dad. At 81, and after one stroke, his right hand strength ain't what it used to be. So if I am going to build one for him, I might as well make doubles of everything and make one for myself right away. Did you power your light off of the ignition switch or straight off the battery?

I powered straight from the battery, then to a 20a breaker. No need to put the extra amps on the ignition switch and if I can't see those things on and kill the battery I deserved to jump start it in the cold.

"Can I just use the original hitch, get rid of all the other mounts and weld a plate in the middle for the idler pulley location. If that's the case, I took some measurements off of my dad's mount on his tractor so I can copy it." Yes, you can weld in a piece of flat bar in the middle. The belt is 147" and still available at dealer.

Keep your turf tires & use chains on back, fronts are fine...Ags are better in dirt than snow and only ment for drive wheels. I've been snowblowing for many years with a 7010 with turf/chains & never had a problem in the deepest snow or worst ice... my 2c worth sm01 Congrats...very nice cab, good job

speaking of that massive belt....does the rear pulley/tensioner have to be repositioned and shimmed on the back side for pulley alignment? I did move mine to a different hole and ran it a few times and with proper washers got the belt to run in the center of that tensioner pulley...was I right by doing this? Also I could use a spare belt...can I get a 1/2x147 or use a oem???? Thanks

Ok, couple more questions. Test some test welding on the bracket tonite after work. Seems I have to move my idler pulley over and cock it on a slight angle to make the belt line up. One question is do I have to cut the bottom out of the old mount so the bottom of the belt doesn't rub on it. Right now it looks like it will rub when it is down but will be ok when it is pulled up. Also, the pulley on the blower is 7". Does that have to be changed to a different size or is it ok. I didn't measure my dads to see what size his was. After I get back from errands I will post a picture of what I did so far. Dave, BLT sent me a message to use a NAPA A144 bolt. Wife picked one up today for me and so far the length looks spot on. Don't know what she paid but supposed to me a heck of alot cheaper then the Simplicity belt.

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Keep your turf tires & use chains on back, fronts are fine...Ags are better in dirt than snow and only ment for drive wheels. I've been snowblowing for many years with a 7010 with turf/chains & never had a problem in the deepest snow or worst ice... my 2c worth sm01 Congrats...very nice cab, good job
NOT True, many ags have directional arrows right on them, one way for traction, opposite for steering