Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help: Vickers reassemb ly

rfsmith1952

Finally getting back to working on the old T-12. Time to reassemble the transmission, and I am a bit lost as to how to get it back together. Part number 7 is the Gear -1st intermediate. It goes behind #19 the big Gear-Drive. So I can't figure out how to get it lined up with the brake shaft #6 if the shaft is intalled in the cover #29. If I take the brake shaft out, then install the intermediate gear #7 behind the drive gear #19, then I can't figure out how to get #37 the fork shift lined up and actionable on #8 the pinion-sliding. Here's the diagram and parts lists.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I want to dry fit riight once or twice before I put the gasket and sealer on and bolt it back together.

sixth picture down in link below says this covers vickers as well. Hope it helps. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119162

im sure this isnt much help... but when i did it (of course the case is still in the tractor) I remember alot of fingers in the almost closed case and moving the freewheel lever as I was putting the case cover on... BTW, I would recommend putting NEW seals (#12 and #24) in AFTER reassembling the case using the method in the articles section here on this one i didnt just do it twice... probably more like 4 times : )

Thanks Sammie. I got it back together just a few minutes ago. I left the left side of the case on the tractor, and then removed the axle tube with the big gear still on it. I cleaned the tube very well, (I should have done that before I took it out) enough so that it slid in and out pretty easily. Then I started assembling everything in the right half of the case on a jig, like Ray's link said. I assembled and reassembled several times till I was sure I got it right. I got it. Then I checked the diagram one last time. I got it wrong. I saw I missed three washers on the axle tube. Disassembled again, and put the three washers over the axle tube, then the rest. One washer has a bigger inside diameter than the rest. That goes first and fits over the retaining ring, two more follow, same diameter as the axle tube. Now it turns (by hand) much smoother now. Feels right, shift shaft works, and there are no parts left over:D. Applied gasket sealer, the gasket, and worked the whole right side, axle tube and all, back into the left side and bolted it together. I stopped there. There are some empty bolt holes and a mess of differential staring at me. Break time. Dogs want supper and wife is off galavantin. I'll go back out tonite. Thanks, you've been very helpful, and remember this is all JIMDKs fault:D:D}:) Bob

Bob, I believe that the statute of limitations would apply, and absolve me of all blame.:D:D At any rate, just think of the learning experience for you, and all the club members including me, who have ever wondered what the inside of a Vickers looks like. Good job and a good write up, Jim

All back together. Was hoping for a happy ending. First of all, the shift shaft works great. No rocking the tractor. It goes in, and it goes out. However, before I took it apart the tractor didn't have very much power. I suspected the pump, but decided to dive in the transmission and see if that cured it. It didn't. That tractor still can't get out of it's own way. So I'll keep my eyes open for a pump, or a whole tractor rear end. The T-12 engine is strong and will fit right in the T-10, so at the miminum, I have an extra engine and other parts. It was educational, entertaining and fun. Thanks all for your help.

Bob, I am sorry to hear that it does not work well. You might try running it around some before you tear it down again. I think I mentioned previously that my HB-212 sometimes moves very slowly if it has been sitting awhile. It changes to normal after a few minutes of full throttle running, and rocking from rev. to full forward. Try to get it warm. Just a shot in the dark, but worth a little gas to try. Good luck, Jim

It gets worse the longer it runs. Then it just doesn't move at all. I don't know enough about the pump itself. As for tearing it down again....I think not. Thanks for your help, you and a lot of these guys are always willing to jump in there with answers and guidance.