Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rubber Tire Chains

BrianD

Howdy. Anyone here ever heard of, or had experience with, winter chains that have reinforced rubber straps instead of chain links for winter plowing? I've read that they're "less aggressive" on asphalt driveways. I've just moved into a snowy wonderland here in northeast Pa, but don't want to scratch up the driveway. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have heard they are worthless. No better than just using a AG tire. Chains are only thing that works on ice. For plowing I only use AG or ATV tires as you will slip and spin leading to asphalt damage.

Brian, Your driveway will dictate what you need to use. My driveway has a hill on it and the only way I can climb that hill in the winter is with tire chains. I have tried AG tires, I have tried weight, I have tried narrow tires and I have tried wide tires; all failed. The only way I can climb that hill is with chains. I try and limit tire spin to avoid scrapping the driveway, but I always have scrapes in the spring. I end up resealing the driveway every year or two to hide the scrapes. Rick.....

the rubber chains are good for light snow and the first few plowings...think about it though...what do your rubber tires do on ice???spin...so will the rubber chains...if u salt ur drive then the rubber chains work good and they also work good in driving through deeper snow, but u dont usually drive through to much deep snow because you have already removed it...hope this helps...

Brian, I live in Mountain Top about 10 miles from you and I use chain every year, in the spring I do see some scuffs on the driveway just where I reversed to quick other than that chain are better, we do get our share of snow and ice here in eastern PA.
[img]/club2/attach/NandoG/DSC04470a.jpg[/img]

My two cents based on my set-up. I like the rubber "chains" Run them on the plow tractor. A 716-6spd HD angle from the seat plow. Load it with 75 lbs per wheel cast iron weights, and about 120 lbs weight hanging on a rear weight carrier. I use this for the 3-8" kind of snow. If it gets deeper I use the 917 with the blower. Run 2 link chains on this tractor because the blower tractor rarely spins the wheels, unlike the plow tractor.
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/917cab1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GregB/small blade.jpg[/img]
My property is mostly slope, the Ag tires on the B-10 are OK with virgin deep snow, but packed snow I think they put less contact patch to ground. My experience is they are completely useless on Icy areas. Only V bar type chain will grab there. Again my two cents value accordingly

I second the v-bar. The main application of the rubber chains is to enhance otherwise smooth tires in semi loose snow. Contrary to what the warning labels say, I think a v-bar chain is the least marring of any of the systems. Even without weights they scratch the ground a lot less than the round chains on my other trac, pushing more effectively. I think that is due to the added engagement with the surface.

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
Contrary to what the warning labels say, I think a v-bar chain is the least marring of any of the systems. Even without weights they scratch the ground a lot less than the round chains on my other trac, pushing more effectively. I think that is due to the added engagement with the surface.
I used my loader with v-bar chains to pull another tractor out of my shop, and when I got careless and let the tires spin those v-bars dug some pretty nasty gouges in my cement floor. Nothing is better at what they are designed for, but keep them off bare pavement.

Thanks for the responses. I'll use my chains to start with and see how it goes. My driveway is pretty level, so if I find a deal on some rubber straps, I may pick them up and giv'em a spin try. I've been in the city for 10 years with my equipment in storage, but back in a rural setting now and looking forward to tinkering some.

Just spend 8 days down in the city of Anchorage working on a house my son and daughter are buying 50/50. Had two good snows and why them folks can't drive in snow is beyond me, I had the 2 wheel drive Rang down there and got around ok and that thing gets stuck going down hill on wet grass with new tires. Anyways, saw quite a few people had the cable chains on their rigs, not sure how they would do o our tractors. I use 2 link v bars but I plow on snow pack with gravel below.

well this my be of beat but it works for me i to had a new asphalt drive way and didn't want to mar it so i bought the cheapest hardest 1/2 " nylon line 50' length cut it in half and wound it though the wheel all around secured at both ends with half hitches.This will work on snow it will give some digg if you get stuck.If in spring it's badly fraded put it in the garbage and buy a new one for next year cost is about 10 bucks