Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Favorite Sovereign

larry8200

It has some stiff competition but my 74 Sovereign 3416H takes the prize, every time. :D
[img]/club2/attach/larry8200/hs1.jpg[/img]

Nice fleet! You remember the maintenance for each, use #2 pencils on index cards, or a Cray computer.......sm00

My first big Simplicity was a 3416H. Bought it years ago in around the time I started selling parts and attachments and such. Found it at a consignment auction for $150. Ran great and eventually swapped a sundstrand hydro into it. Somewhere along the way I sold it as I did alot of other nice tractors I had over the years. I think thats the one the grass under the deck shields caught fire when the idler bearing froze up & the pully kept turning on the outer race and friction took over:O:D.

I'd love to hear more about why you favor it over the new sovy you got there? I personally like how the 7000 sit lower. Get power steering you may just have a new favorite :I sweet collection by the way looks good

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
I'd love to hear more about why you favor it over the new sovy you got there? I personally like how the 7000 sit lower. Get power steering you may just have a new favorite :I sweet collection by the way looks good
I do have a power steering Sovereign, it's at my Dads till he sells his house. The new Sovy's have their points, the smooth power of the Kohler CH18 not the least. The 3416H though has at least as much power and is much simpler, same frame as the 7000 and has a lower center of gravity and a little more leg room. (I've almost flopped a new one) Most of all I like the Vickers Hydrostatic drive with its friction lock control handle. I cannot change speeds or stop as smoothly with a Sundstrand hydro, and the Vickers doesn't have that annoying speed surge when the Sundstrands nylon bushing in the linkage isn't perfect. I rebuilt the steering in the 3416H and with it well lubed and tires on the hard side it steers just fine. I like being able to use the electric lift swapping attachments without the engine running. Then there's the old Briggs cast iron single, as fine an engine in its class as ever built. Finally, tradition. My Dad bought this 3416H new in 75, I was the first to mow with it and have done all the maintenance for 35 years now... Am I prejudiced? You bet!!! :D:D:D

points well taken. I love the singles also. you can never replace the sentimental value. thanks for taking time to write up:)

That's an awesome collection of Sovereign style tractors! I'm amazed at how Briggs still makes alot of the parts for these tractors, though some have been discontinued. If all of us pull together here and everywhere else, we can keep the parts moving so they can justify making them.

quote:
Finally, tradition. My Dad bought this 3416H new in 75, I was the first to mow with it and have done all the maintenance for 35 years now... Am I prejudiced? You bet!!!
That is really cool to hear! That's what I would call a history with a tractordOd. Should have another 35 years in it!

quote:
Originally posted by Michiganmobileman .... Should have another 35 years in it!
If I have another 30 good years, I hope I'll be happy. I have no doulbt many of my old Simplicity/Allis tractors are going to outlive me........