Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

Favorite Sovereign

SmilinSam
My first big Simplicity was a 3416H. Bought it years ago in around the time I started selling parts and attachments and such. Found it at a consignment auction for $150. Ran great and eventually swapped a sundstrand hydro into it. Somewhere along the way I sold it as I did alot of other nice tractors I had over the years. I think thats the one the grass under the deck shields caught fire when the idler bearing froze up & the pully kept turning on the outer race and friction took over:O:D.

hotrodtractor
I'd love to hear more about why you favor it over the new sovy you got there? I personally like how the 7000 sit lower. Get power steering you may just have a new favorite :I sweet collection by the way looks good

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
I'd love to hear more about why you favor it over the new sovy you got there? I personally like how the 7000 sit lower. Get power steering you may just have a new favorite :I sweet collection by the way looks good
I do have a power steering Sovereign, it's at my Dads till he sells his house. The new Sovy's have their points, the smooth power of the Kohler CH18 not the least. The 3416H though has at least as much power and is much simpler, same frame as the 7000 and has a lower center of gravity and a little more leg room. (I've almost flopped a new one) Most of all I like the Vickers Hydrostatic drive with its friction lock control handle. I cannot change speeds or stop as smoothly with a Sundstrand hydro, and the Vickers doesn't have that annoying speed surge when the Sundstrands nylon bushing in the linkage isn't perfect. I rebuilt the steering in the 3416H and with it well lubed and tires on the hard side it steers just fine. I like being able to use the electric lift swapping attachments without the engine running. Then there's the old Briggs cast iron single, as fine an engine in its class as ever built. Finally, tradition. My Dad bought this 3416H new in 75, I was the first to mow with it and have done all the maintenance for 35 years now... Am I prejudiced? You bet!!! :D:D:D

rs07
That's an awesome collection of Sovereign style tractors! I'm amazed at how Briggs still makes alot of the parts for these tractors, though some have been discontinued. If all of us pull together here and everywhere else, we can keep the parts moving so they can justify making them.

Michiganmobileman
quote:
Finally, tradition. My Dad bought this 3416H new in 75, I was the first to mow with it and have done all the maintenance for 35 years now... Am I prejudiced? You bet!!!
That is really cool to hear! That's what I would call a history with a tractordOd. Should have another 35 years in it!

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by Michiganmobileman .... Should have another 35 years in it!
If I have another 30 good years, I hope I'll be happy. I have no doulbt many of my old Simplicity/Allis tractors are going to outlive me........

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PhanDad
    • rokon2813
    • tripleguy
    • Brettw
    • smalljob
    • SmilinSam
    • GregB
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• dav-1

dav-1  »  Talntedmrgreen

Over a year ago, you answered a question I had about the tool bar for my FDT. In your reply dated Dec 31, 2019  you said the spacer, part #16, goes in the bar to allow for up and down depth adjustment. does this mean the bolt has to be tightened at whatever depth desired or does the bolt slide up and down, allowing the lower hitch to free float?
         If it is tightened so the lower hitch and the bar are rigid, then is the depth to be controlled by the shoes? Or by the lift handle?
        Is there any kind of user directions for the tool bar? The Outdoor Power Manual basically shows how to assemble the bar but not how to use it
      · 1 reply
    • tribswede

tribswede  »  goatfarmer

ISO a deck for a 6516 H and all the connecting hardware any ideas on where to start?

· 1 reply
  • Adverts