Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

John the General

dentwizz

I was sanding down my free Deere hood to play with some fiberglass today and found some interesting paint. Does anyone know if this was a factory paint setup like the "patio" series or was this some redneck thing? [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/sedonaatx/Image0126.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/sedonaatx/Image0124.jpg[/IMG] Its a 140 hood. Depending on how hard it is to fix, I would like to offer as a service.

It did have a 2" square-tube bull bumper that read "Eat me" on it. Too bad it's from a green machine. Might have been decent looking on an orange body...

Way I see it, the local guy I got it from said the hoods were "unworthy to sell usually" so if I can fix them reasonably then it makes a free junk resource into a service.

what color is under the orange ?. It didn’t take long for John Deere’s Marketing Group to find out that customers buying John Deere garden tractors wanted a green tractor and not one of a different color. Sales of the Custom Color tractors were disappointing and in the 1971 model year, production of the custom color tractors ceased. Dealers repainted many of the tractors and hoods green to get them sold. Many of the seats were used to make parts counter stools, were given away, or they ended up laying around on dealer parts shelves for years waiting to be picked up by collectors. The yellow seats, of course, were used on the green tractors and the first to be used. Because of this, yellow is probably the hardest color of seat to find.

I will have to check on the color depth but I do think I saw green before getting to primer. This is reminding me of smithsonian work, layers and layers:p