Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Murphys in town...who wants em next?

SmilinSam

Sending him down the road to someone else.. I had enough of Murph and his lawsm00 Ordered a Carlisle Power trac to make a pair for my project. Came yesterday. Recieved a Deestone turf tireyell:||:||:||:|| Today I started the last vacuuming of the yard with the 914 and trailer vac setup. Half of the way through the job the bearing in the vac unit flew apart.:Owah8C8 Ok, no biggie I guess...was half way expecting that. Besides I got a frame mount peco vac on the 712 with its 16hp opposed twin. Got going again and was about 20 minutes from done and smoke started pouring out from under the hood...then the engine promptly siezed upyellyell:||:||:||:|| What the?.. I just checked the oil and added a little....? How neat, oil all over the front of the bottom of the tractorsm00 Opened the hood and ALL the bolts holding the bearing/seal plate assembly on the front of engine were gone..and the assembly was just hangin loose on the crankshaft. Geeeeee...never seen that before:J So..as I bid ole Murph farewell, I just have to wonder who hes coming to visit next666

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Sending him down the road to someone else.. .....
Well its an awfull long road from there to here, and sounds like ole "Murphy" just had his self a feast.... Bummer of a day, has to get better. sm01

Ahhhh yes, ...... ..but you would be suprised at just how fast he strides on down the road:D:D:D One time he was here in the moring and by nightfall he had made it all the way to Massechusetts;) ..and that was with a couple of pitstops in betweenOO

Sam, I found Murphy, he stopped by southern New Hampshire and helped get my Big Ten stuck in reverse. We towed the Big Ten back to my driveway with my pickup, and then I sent Murphy packing!! And yes, it still stuck in reverse at 5:30 pm.C

Please keep Murphy out of Massachuesetts, been doin just fine without! I need my toys to keep earnin' their keep! All 3 workers have been working hard since Snowtober now it's time to get the leaves up an outa here! No Murphy! No Murphy! No Murphy here!:D

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Hey Sam...has your wife been complaining about morning sickness? :D
Shes already had the pertinent equipment removed...and I has been fixed for 14 years.. so thank God thats out of the realm of possibility:D

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Hey Sam...has your wife been complaining about morning sickness? :D
Shes already had the pertinent equipment removed...and I has been fixed for 14 years.. so thank God thats out of the realm of possibility:D
Some say he's capable of the dangdist things...

Murph moves fast, jump right to my house in Wisconsin! Been bagging leaves all week (917 with frame mounted bagger), had only about 15 mins of work left. But yesterday, before I even got to bagging the engine starts to run rough, loose spark plug wire...how in the world did that come loose??? Put in back on and after 5 mins, the locknut on the cone clutch came off..no big deal found the nut...back on with some locktite. Back out, after 3 mins the center blade flew off the mower deck. Sheared the bolts right off... no big deal, what was left of the bolts/studs came right out, and re-installed the blade and back out I went to finish up. Not to be, after only about 2 mins the blower locked up...found a large chuck of wood (probably what sheared the center blade off) wedged in the blower :(! but it bend the blower drive shaft XX(. Murphy was trying to stop me from bagging leaves today, but I was too DENSE, and he had to try 4 times before he put me out of business. BTW the shaft is NLA 8C, so I am out for few days! Don't fight Murphy, if he shows up just give up for the day, he will always eventually win.

Good ol' Murph. Worst part is, he thinks he's a friend and a welcome guest. He's been showing up on and off, unannounced and uninvited many times over my lifetime. Just can't seem to get him to take the hint. Comes on in, helps himself, and leaves without even so much as a how do you do. Hasn't been by in a while, so hopefully he's more interested in what all of you have to offer, for now...........}:)

Sam, he must want those leaves to stay on the ground this winter. He hid that big chunk of wood in a pile leaves, in an area that I have been mowing all summer, so of course I was not looking for anything in there. I forgot to mention Friday night I had a slight ignition problem...solved by pulling the plug off the back of the ignition switch and putting it back on (Murph corroded the contacts). Now that I think about it I better go out and checked the center arbor on the deck, he probably sabbotaged that also. I better also check the oil in the BGB...Check motor mounts...Hydro fluid...etc. etc. Not because non of these have checked since last spring, it is all about Murphy.

I guess y'all sent him up North to Canada... I came out after 3 days of hard work at the cottage to find my truck battery stone dead. Hookup the charger but it was taking too long and I needed to get back home. So try to fire up the old Land Cruiser (with the tree growing through its bumper) but it wouldn't fire... So walk into the shop to fire up the old 720 in hopes of boosting the truck... The 720 cranked a couple of times and then <insert bad grinding noise here>... Starter works but sounds like a flat spot on the flywheel. Take battery out of Superintendant Chalmers and walk it over to the truck but alas, not enough oomph left in that battery to get the truck started... Take my lumps and wait another hour for the charger to do its thing... So now I'm pondering what to do about my new starter / old ring gear... Just when I got the 52" blower all working good, now it looks like I gotta pull the CCKB out again... In an unheated gravel floored shop... Who wants him next?

Bring ol' Murphy down here to the sunny south for a while, he hasn't been around for a while, and I am running out of other projects. Just make certain that he is in a good mood when you send him, I don't want a blown engine or anything to work on, but I could give you guys a break from some of those problems.If I don't have a good reason for being in the shop, I'm going to have to help inside, and I can clean in here all day, and it only takes the grandson a couple of minutes to...

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
Bring ol' Murphy down here to the sunny south for a while, he hasn't been around for a while, and I am running out of other projects. Just make certain that he is in a good mood when you send him, I don't want a blown engine or anything to work on, but I could give you guys a break from some of those problems.If I don't have a good reason for being in the shop, I'm going to have to help inside, and I can clean in here all day, and it only takes the grandson a couple of minutes to...
Be careful what you ask for

• 3 weeks later...
Yall kept him in and amongst yourselves, so I went and bought a Farmall B tractor. If I can start the engine, I am going to put it on my A Farmall to use in the spring, then rebuild as I can justify buying parts the original A engine. All the B really is supposed to need is a starter, carburetor, and a clutch, but I don't need a 2 or 3 row tractor in my garden, will be hard to justify a 1 row A. Since Murp stayed up north, I had to have something to do to keep from house cleaning