Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

plugged up cooling fins

Tom_Byrne

I pulled my Briggs 10 hp model 243431 out of my B-210 the other day to go through the motor. It ran pretty good when I got it running recently for the 1st time. When I was pulling the motor apart I was amazed at how bad the cooling fins were plugged up from little critters living inside the shroud. I thought I had got a lot of that stuff out before I had started it but I didn't even make a dent in what was under the shroud. I must say I am glad I pulled the motor and discovered how bad it was this way as compared to having blown the engine because there was little cooling going on. Just something to think about if the critters get into your motor shrouds.

Yep, I pulled a coffee can full of crud out of the engine for my Big Ten when I took it apart.... It says a whole lot for the ruggedness of these old Briggs that they don't overheat and seize up or something.... Run an aircooled VW with the airflow restricted like that and you'd likely be dropping an exhaust valve through the top of a piston -- if your head studs didn't pull out of the block and stop you before it got so drastic....

Same problem with mine last night. I have a model W with a 243431 on it and a mouse had moved in on top of the coil. I also had that on my Landlord after tearing the engine down a couple months ago. I have put out traps for the little rascles and catch a few. I think it is time for me to get a barn cat to protect my prized possesions.

I've had nests so bad and mice so hungry that they had eaten the insulation off all the wiring under the shroud, including the high tension lead. I got a good supply of cats going into winter, gotta get some good feed and some traps for the mice too. Sam

When you have evicted those pesky critters and cleaned out all the mess,try wedging some moth balls inside the shroud away from the flywheel.Seems to keep them out for a while.

Where they get in I have no idea. When I bought my B-210 it came from a area that was more rural than where I live. I know that those mice can be pretty small but I too was wondering where they got in from ? I tell you I was amazed at how much stuff was inside my flwheel shroud. The weird thing was, with limited cooling it still ran good. I guess like Kent said there is a lot to be said for these old cast iron Briggs engines.

Heres another good one on this subject. My neigbor had a WC that after winter would not crank, acted like it was siezed up. In the end they had found that in one cylinder where the exaust valve was open the mice had gotten down in their and used the cylinder for a grain bin. They had filled it completely with corn!