Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis chalmers b-1

douglas

Hello everyone, starting a new project, just got a allis chalmers b-1 for winter sanity. im trying to find two front wheels for it i think they are 3.50-8. been to all the local places everybody wants to sell me the wide ones with the bearings in them. my wonderboy 700 has them but im not robing peter to pay paul. any sugestions? Thanks, Doug

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
I thought 4.80 x 8 was the stock size for those?
Yes, thats right. Should be pretty easy to find a used set on Ebay or through the Simpletractors classifieds.

I took a quick measurement of the wheel 3.50 inside to inside has bronze bushings instead of bearings. Are these even the right wheels for this tractor? Doug

All of the B-1's should have come with the tapered roller bearings from new. Thats what mine has and all of them I've seen in literature, thats not to say one or two didn't slip through production. The very fist Simplicty 700's that came out in '59 had the bushing type wheels but still used a 4.80x4.00-8 tire.

I already PM'd with Doug. I have the front wheels and tires from a Big-10. The tire size is 4.80-4.00-8. The one that is dismounted has bearings in the axle opening, not bushings. Are these suitable for a B-1? This is a Big-10 that is coming apart for salvage. Who wants what?

Thanks everyone, think i found a set on e bay, says they are off a sears, They look like the one thats on the allis. and for 15 bucks i realy cant go wrong

quote:
Originally posted by douglas
Thanks everyone, think i found a set on e bay, says they are off a sears, They look like the one thats on the allis. and for 15 bucks i realy cant go wrong
those sears a probaly be the wrong ones. your Allis has short spindles and you want to use the automotive type roller bearing rims. here is a set on ebay. ask him if he will included the bearings - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIS-CHALMERS-BIG-TEN-10-BRIGGS-B10-FRONT-WHEELS-TIRES-/180756106586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a15e74d5a

Douglas, it sounds like your tractor probably had the wrong front wheels to begin with. I would be learly of swapping wheels as you may need spacers to keep them from rubbing your spindle if their offset is different.