Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bgb exchange

gwiseman

this was the 1st year working with by b210 after finding it near Joplin in 2010. seemed complete and in fairly good shape but it had issues pulling/pushing. knew the bgb was suspect and, while using Sam's Swisher bucket early spring the tractor stalled out. pulled to shop w/early B10. Replaced bgb w/1 in inventory (told the wife parts inventory is essential). 11/14/2011 I finally tore into the old bgb to investigate. key fell out when oil plug removed

1 tooth on drive gear notched

power shaft gear ground nearly smooth. its a wonder it moved at all.

perfect time to add 23x8.50-12 Carlisle TruPowers and front tri-ribs

quote:
Originally posted by gwiseman
.... (told the wife parts inventory is essential)....
Absolutely!! And a backup tractor or two, even better!!

Was the front input shaft needle bearing shot? In my limited experience, that's what I've seen that leads to the gear damage.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
Was the front input shaft needle bearing shot? In my limited experience, that's what I've seen that leads to the gear damage.
Bill - I'll take a look tonight again. needle bearings looked good when i pulled the input shaft. I remember some wobble though so I suspect you nailed it. tractor moved well enough when i picked it up. it hesitated couple of times using around the house and completely stalled out when i dug out a bucket load of dirt. Chris - i agree.

Gene, those are the same tire size/tread combination I put on my HB-212 resto project this summer. I think it gives the tractor a nice look.