Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Talntedmrgreen

243431 issues

Talntedmrgreen
I have several machines running this engine type, and love it to death. I have resurrected several, done countless carb jobs on them, and have always had good luck. The 10 horse in my Big Ten is bugging me though. It ran great pushing snow the short period I had it before the resto, and so it was only cleaned during my restoration. I popped the head and things looked perfect after a scrub. I didn't monkey with the carb...no need at the time, it was purring nicely. What I'm experiencing now is a loss of power under a load that I can't quite figure out. The engine does not smoke a bit, unless choke is applied while running. It starts easy, runs great through all rpm ranges, and idles so, so nicely. I can turn that baby down and it will put-put lower than any engine I have without ever stalling. It is also very sensitive to the choke. Since my redo on the tractor, I've noticed on a hill beside my house that she boggs badly when that load hits. In 3rd gear, I believe it would stall out. I've tinkered with the fuel and it got a little better...not a lot. With the pepper shaker on there, at dusk it glows red and has a nice constant 6" blue haze that resembles a giant blow torch blasting out of the can...when a load hits, it turns instantly red and may even pop a bit. Still...no smoke. To me, it seems to run lean, but I cannot get more fuel to it. If I give it more, it sputters under no load like she's running too fat, and might even cough a bit of smoke. This engine is running on a 12v coil with new points and condenser. Governor springs are set per the book. (almost thinking a governor issue) Any ideas? Thanks!

Talntedmrgreen
I'll be checking things again...the issue doesn't seem to vary, hot vs cold...only load vs no load. Plug type was also mentioned. Thoughts on preferred plugs, or the affects that may have? I have a pile of old ones of various makes, but can grab a new one on the way home from work as well. I hadn't even thought about a plug issue...

timflury
" Since my redo on the tractor, I've noticed on a hill beside my house that she boggs badly when that load hits. In 3rd gear, I believe it would stall out. I've tinkered with the fuel and it got a little better...not a lot. With the pepper shaker on there, at dusk it glows red and has a nice constant 6" blue haze that resembles a giant blow torch blasting out of the can...when a load hits, it turns instantly red and may even pop a bit. Still...no smoke. To me, it seems to run lean, but I cannot get more fuel to it. If I give it more, it sputters under no load like she's running too fat, and might even cough a bit of smoke." I'm going to lean towards Bob's diagnosis. Ever since I changed the carb on mine, (I had a less than successful attempt at stopping the leak on the emulsion tube seat:O:O) I've been having the same issue you describe. When I was running my shredder over the weekend, the engine would bog and severely backfire when a slight load was applied. I would have to throttle down to idle and ever so slowly, bring the rpm back up. Things would be ok until I would load up the shredder with leaves and small twigs. The engine acted like it had a major power loss.

dentwizz
X2 on the springs. It makes sense for the pre-rebuild working post-rebuild questionable performance. The spring position is detailed in the 243431 operation manual if I recall. Have you tried richening the mix a slight amount? The glowing muffler/muffler fire does sound like valve clearances however. I have not yet had one of that series do that if it was set properly.

Al
Hi, I would check that the governor arm is correctly adjusted. Start by pushing the arm to open the carb wide open. Then loosen the bolt on the arm. With the arm holding the carb wide open, turn the shaft in the arm the same direction the arm moves to open the carb until it won't turn any more. At this point tighten the bolt. The arm should hit its stop at exactly the same time the carb hits the wide open stop. If this doesn't help check the flywheel key to see if it has ever so slightly started to shear. This can move the timing either way depending which way it has shifted the flywheel. Sometimes these engines have a lot of wear on the ignition bump on the camshaft. Setting the points at .020 may actually move it out of time. Something you may try is running the point adjusting screw in until it changes the engine sound at idle then out until the same happens then go half the difference, midpoint and see if it helps. I used to have to do this with my old cemetary mower as the the leading edge of the ignition bump on the cam was worn back under the push rod. If the muffler is really red, opening the main jet a little may help, as the leaner it is the redder the exhaust pipes get. Al Eden

Talntedmrgreen
Well guys, last nite I had some daylite after work and monkeyed with the governor springs. I beleive the shorter of the two is stratched a tad, and some snugging on that help noticably for my engine bogging on my 'test hill'. Now, only a minimal bog is noticed, and I beleive this is due to further struggles presented by a slipping belt (another issue). I also richened the mixture again, and this did help eliminate the blue flame until the engine really gets warmed up (about the same time my loader fluid is nice and warm). My flame is present when at high rpm, and when the engine is hot. To get rid of it with a richer mixture means going too far on the fuel and retarding the engine's firing. Not gonna work. I know when I pulled the engine and went thorugh it, by flywheel key looked good as new, and unless something bizarre occurred without me noticing, I cannot imagine that has changed. I will try Al's governor arm check, and then work with the points some more if that is not my ailment. Thanks again for all the info...I think this will provide helpful to others, and seems to cover a lot of the aadjustments a guy might have to cover. I must admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the valve adjustment, as I've only ever worked with sticky valves, and not so much valves in need of adjusting. I'll search the site for this proceedure as well. Thanks!! sm01