Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC712H

700 series tractors with Kohler Twin Engine?

AC712H
I am debating whether or not to try and put a Kohler twin cylinder engine into a 700 series Allis Chalmers tractor. KT17, KT19, M20 or any other. I know the frames are a little different from the 700 to 900 series. Has anybody done this? I am trying to keep costs down and that is why I am not using a new engine. I am wondering if Kohler engines from John Deere and Cub Cadet tractors will work with little or no modification. Any help would be great!!

rokon2813
To the best of my knowledge, both John Deere and Cub Cadet have special oil pans unique to their tractors. You would need to change those out at least, if they can be changed.

Brettw
The KT twins, I believe are all the same in regards to oil pans. They are differen than the singles cyliners. They have no "pan" per se, they are two halves of a block put together. That being said, they are getting harder and harder to find, and a good one isn't cheap. Truth is, you can repower with anything, it just depends on how much extra work you want to put in to make everything line up, bolt up and run properly.

Al
Hi, Don't try the Command, you have to cut tooooooo much of the sides of the frame to get the blower housing in. Then the frame has at o be reinforced. It has been done, but is MAJOR surgery. If you are going V twin, go to the Brs. Vangard due to size and available real estate. Al Eden

sliderxc
I have to agree with al on cutting the frame not good if you look at a twin frame compared to yours you will see the twin frame has a longer engine plate to make up for the frame being narrower then yours p.s. just wondering why you don't rebuild the engine in it