Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Command M-18 in a Sovereign?

victorsnc

Did Simplicity ever put the Kohler M-18 engine in the Sovereign or 7100 series? I know they put it in the first Sunstars, but I don't think I have ever seen one - stock - in a Sovereign.

I don`t think so either, but BrettW has a NOS Magnum that he installed in his. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113893&SearchTerms=magnum

I put a m-18 into my AC 917 (7117) It had a broken KT17 in it. Had to change the ingnition wiring with one of Al Edens relay kits so as not to blow out the electronic ignition on the Magnum. Do a search, lots of postings.

For the record. I believe, and I could be wrong, but I believe the only real difference between the Magnums, and the KT Series II, is that the Magnums were magneto ignition (solid state as it were), and a coil setup. When I Installed the new Magnum, it was in almost every way, identical to the KT. The cradle for the coil was still cast into the intake manifold, the few tapped holes for items you would not install in the new model were in the same exact place, It bolted right in, the throttle and choke, carb, fuel lines and pump, exhaust manifolds, etc., were identical. ie: in my opinion, they are the same engine, other than the electronics. A Magnum Command on the other hand, is a different engine configuration completely.

Hi, The Magnums are an updated KT. The heads have been redesigned for better cooling and the fan was improved. Mahle pistons are used in all the Magnums. Fixed jets for the EPA, etc. That gets most of it. Al Eden

My 917 had a KT series II, which if I recall was only a 5psi pressure assist, not a full pressure lube. I believe the Magnums are full pressure lube. I have a MV18 in my 917 now. The MV18's are actually vertical shaft engines, but I did the necessary work and robbed parts from the old KT17 to run it horizontal.