Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16hp Briggs Magneto

tjwilliams

Now that I have most everything back together I want to make sure I have the adjustable Magneto bracket properly aligned before torquing the fly wheel. The book mostly talks about the Magnatron and not much about the magneto points setup. Question is what is the position of the bracket in relationship to the slots i.e. to the left, center or to the right or does it matter as long as the gap is between .010" and .014" from flywheel to magneto lamination's? Thanks, Tim

The movement left to right will affect the timing. In my book, its Section Two (Ignition) on page 17. The describe the process of "Adjust armature timing external breaker points model 23000,243400, 30000." You will need an ohmmeter.

On the non Magnetron coil bracket, you line up the arrow on the flywheel to the arrow on the coil bracket. After that, you do the air gap measurement.

Bob, I found the arrows on both the bracket and flywheel. At what point in the stroke are they suppose to align? I can just rotate the flywheel until they match so I can vitually get them to align at any position..... Tim

quote:
Originally posted by tjwilliams
Bob, I found the arrows on both the bracket and flywheel. At what point in the stroke are they suppose to align? I can just rotate the flywheel until they match so I can vitually get them to align at any position..... Tim
You rotate so the are both point to point vertical. It doesn't make any difference in the stroke sequence, as once they are aligned, it now becomes a mechanical funtion.

Bob, I did a little digging and the new manual omits this info, but the old manuals and the out of production engine 1919 to 1981 manual (on page 23) describe a process by which you use an ohmmeter to check when the points are most fully open and closed while rotating the flywheel. The arrows should be aligned when the points are open or "high ohmms reading." I believe this process would allow an engine with a worn cam lobe or worn breaker point plunger to be timed as "new" again. If anyone wants a copy of the instructions send me a PM with your email address.