Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tripleguy

37w Rectangular Halogens for Sovereign - pics

tripleguy
Been trying to find replacement lights for my sovereign for a while now. I needed new sockets because the metal contacts pulled out of mine when I tried to remove the wire connectors (needed new wiring - short). I really didn't want to replace them with the same wimpy incandescent bulbs so I looked around without much success. The other day I was looking at my 6-wheel atv and noticed the lights had the same sockets. They were J.W. Speaker lights - #0880. Tried to find them on Speaker's web page and they don't look to be available but I took one out and it fits the cut out in the Simplicty and the sockets fit the lights as well. These are also incandescent lights - 26 watts. I called Recreative Industries to see if they had parts or better yet, light upgrades and they have 37 watt halogens for $35 each (whole headlight assembly). He said they fit perfectly in the ATV which means they should fit the Simplicity. I can report back when I get them later this week but I think this might be a replacement option that gets you much better lighting without having to add auxillary lights or non-OEM lights.

RayS
quote:
Originally posted by CVSB10JCS
I am also looking for better SQUARE lights but i think 35 watts X 2 light is gonna be too much of a draw???
If you have the late model Sovereign with square head lights you should be fine with a total of 70 watts. You more than likely have a 15amp stator X 12 volts = 180 watts. 70 watt lights / 12 volts is a total of 5.83 amps

tripleguy
Got the lights today and they are a direct-fit replacement. They are Speaker brand lights, the same size as the originals, just with Philips halogen lights and sockets. I'll wire them up this weekend and try them out but they should be brighter. The original incandescant were 26 watts and these are 37 so output will be a bit higher and the halogens should be a brighter light as well.

tripleguy
Got them in and they fit just fine with no mods required. They seem to be very bright - much more so than stock and my alternator level bounced right down like it normally does after refreshing the starting charge. Seems to not put any load on the charging system and it shouldn't as Ray points out - they are only drawing like 5 - 6 amps. The housing says Speaker 1240 but I can't find that series in their catalog. I bought them from Recreative Industries, the manufacturer of my ATV. I suspect they may be the same as the halogens available for Argo as well. Paid $35 each + ship. If anyone gets a set, let me know if you find them for less. (Edit) - tried them out tonight and they are BRIGHT!! The spout on the blower does get in the way if it's turned left or right but even with one headlight, they are much brighter than stock. Here are a couple pics: [IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/tripleguy01/Tractors/lights2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/tripleguy01/Tractors/lights1.jpg[/IMG]

DanD
For anybody who wants to make just a little upgrade to their headlights, I found that using the Sylvania Silverstar 1156 (I think that's the correct number...basically auto back up bulbs) bulbs makes a very nice white bright light without spending a lot of money. I don't use the lights much on mine except to pull in the shed if it is late in the day or blowing snow in the winter but my driveway is under a street light.

tripleguy
The lights are an exact replacement for the stock ones - just can't seperate the lens from the housing. I have the Sylvania 1156 as the lights in my ATV. They are brighter than the Simplicity stock bulbs but these halogens toast them. I knew they would be bright but I was pleasantly surprised by just how bright they are. Here's a pic of them in the hood. [IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/tripleguy01/Tractors/lights3.jpg[/IMG]

RayS
Do you have the Recreative Industries part number for this that was on your order? My Sovereign rectangle head lights have the J.W. Speaker lights - #0880 casted in them as well. Interested in buying a set and making it easier for anyone else that is interested.

tripleguy
Checked my invoice and he didn't write down a part number. It just says, 2, Max II halogen headlight assemblies. They are Speaker 1240 part number though. Might be the same lights as used by Argo amphibian atvs.

goatfarmer
Well, there's always this option......

This is an AC412S I picked up a few years ago. Yes, those are automotive headlights someone installed. Just in case you need to cut the grass at midnight.....;)