Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" tiller questions

dave7016

Used my tiller for the second time. Found only 2 grease fittings at the top, any others? Also what type of grease to use? Is there really no oil for the chains? When I used the tiller it worked great but I could smell a burning rubber smell on occasion from the belt. For the life of me I can't find the area it is rubbing or wearing on, stopped 5 times and felt the belt and pulleys and nothing was hot at all, hardly warm! Any common rub areas I am missing? My belt looks to be OEM and is around 5/8" width. This is mounted on a 917 and I do have the accessory pulley/bracket. Thanks guys, love my tractors and this site is a great source of information and help.

My 36 inch ones had zerks on the housing by the tine shaft thinking one on each side but maybe only the one side dont remember for sure but more then 2. Fill around in the areas where maybe some dirt build up Just my 2 cents worth

Would a hydro transaxle make a burning rubber smell while tilling? Bear in mind the fact that I'm no hydro expert here. Are you running the engine more than half throttle?

seems that the newwer ones have less zerks. I made a hybrid from several tillers and my 36" has 4 zerks from memory 2 top to bottom. The new ones did not have a zerk on the top bearings, my old one did. if hydro if could be rubbing filter if you dont have the extra idler.

Also check to make sure the tiller drive belt is not rubbing on the Hydro filter. There is an additional idler pulley needed to clear that filter.

I have the pulley by the filter. I'll have to clean this thing and look for other zerks. I'm done tilling for now so until next spring I won't find this belt issue.

My 25 year old tiller has 6 zerks. Two on the top shaft, 2 that are accessed through cutouts in the top of the big cover over the RH tines, and 2 underneath where the tiller shafts comes out of the chain case. Yes, there's just grease in the case---------the 2 zerks that are accessed through the tine cover put grease into the intermediate shaft bearings and then into the case itself. If you ever break a chain, it's a real mess taking the chain case apart and fixing things.