Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 - 48" Mower Decks

GLPointon

I picked up this Allis Chalmers 48" deck from E-Bay for $100. It has "like new" blades & 1 season on the bearings, only slight surface rust, good rollers & came with both belts...The only issue is belt covers are missing.

Does anyone know why it has an extra pulley on top of the main drive pulley?

The 2nd Deck I got from another member. It needed alot of welding but he gave me a new center shaft and a set of bearings with it. I got it welded up, rebuilt the spindles, got new blades and belts and a new paint job...Works Great!

its so quiet that now I know my 42" must need new bearings...RATS!

Looks like a later model bolt on pulley on top. they must have used the holes in it to pilot the holes in the lower one. Couldnt venture a guess as to why someone would feel the need to do that, unless they felt the lower one was worn and they couldnt find or didnt want to afford a replacement for it.

"its so quiet that now I know my 42" must need new bearings...RATS!" If that 42" deck has grease fittings, pump the arbors full, might take 20 pumps or more, then with the deck upside down warm up the arbors with a torch, heat gun or whatever to get the greae to flow into the top bearings. I have quieted down several noisy decks that way. Of course if the deck has sealed bearings and no zerks.... Looks like a nice deal on that 48" deck, they aren't getting any easier to find.

I wouldnt mind having a drive pulley that high on my LL 42". The stock height makes the belt rub when the deck moves to the upper travel.

Larry, Thanks for the advice. My 42" deck only has grease zirk on the center arbor only. as soon as it starts to humm I imediatly go pump it full of greese again and that always helps. I was unsure on the rebuilt deck to go with sealed or unsealed bearings and grease...any thoughts ?
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
"its so quiet that now I know my 42" must need new bearings...RATS!" If that 42" deck has grease fittings, pump the arbors full, might take 20 pumps or more, then with the deck upside down warm up the arbors with a torch, heat gun or whatever to get the greae to flow into the top bearings. I have quieted down several noisy decks that way. Of course if the deck has sealed bearings and no zerks.... Looks like a nice deal on that 48" deck, they aren't getting any easier to find.

Ya Ray thats the guy...I think he had it on a B100 series A/C that lost an engine(I think?) Anyway his loss is my gain.;)
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
The yellow one was originally mine. Nathan bought if from me in June I believe.

Maybe someone put the extra pulley on that deck so that it could be used both on FDTs and RBTs, since they have different size pulleys on their decks. The lower one does look quite a bit smaller.

Some of the B-200 tractors had a double-v belt that drove the mower deck. Many of them were converted back to use a regular belt through a kit offered by Simplicity. On your deck the top pulley is the single groove and the bottom is the double groove pulley. By having both style of pulley attached you could use it on tractors equipped for either style of belt, though the angle is increased on the top belt becuase of the higher pulley.

:OGood eye Chris. I totally missed the double v pulley in the lower position. Had to go back and take resolution up to 150% to see it. Dave.

They are actually the same size. As Chris stated the B 200`s had the Double V pulley and the guy I got it from simply bolted a single over it because the belt for the double V are so exspensive. Not sure why he just didn`t remove it.

Thanks Levi...can hardly tell thats the same Simplicity deck. Thanks for the parts too, Greg sm01
quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
Glad it all worked for you.:D

covers on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-B-112-Tractor-48-Mowing-Deck-Belt-Guard-/200664964560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8905dd0#ht_2972wt_1348

Thanks Nate, I made an offer of $25 on them...I think $35 is a bit high for 48" covers in that condition & w/shipping = >$50, but I'll find some...
quote:
Originally posted by ngale65
covers on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-B-112-Tractor-48-Mowing-Deck-Belt-Guard-/200664964560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8905dd0#ht_2972wt_1348

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Snojetter
    • JAV13037
    • andrew68
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts