Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

command RPMs

wilm169

Levi, Go to the Kohler site(kohlerengines.com) and look through the service manual for your engine. It will be near the end of the manual. I looked through the manual that I downloaded for the CH730(25Hp) and the info about spring color and hole location is in there. A local small engine shop should be able to look that up for you also, that is how I got my governor spring. By the way, which engine are you working with? My manual shows different springs for different engines. In addition to moving the spring to different holes, you can also bend the tab on the opposite end of the spring to tweak the speed. This will only work if you have the right spring.

According to my manual they have a clear colored spring & a purple colored spring. With the clear spring place in hole 4 you should have 3600-3800 rpm. Does not appear to be more than 3300 with the purple spring. Hopefully you have the clear spring. StanD

It all depends if you have a 4 hole gov lever or 6 hole gov lever. If you have six hole , use clear spring, hole 3. If you have 4 hole gov lever; A. For CH 18 engines needle bearing shaft use orange spring, no carb accelerator pump, hole 2. B. For CH 18 engines standard mat'l bearing shaft use blue spring, no carb accelerator pump, hole 4. C. Same as "B" use purple spring, hole 4 with carb pump. D. For CH 20, Same as "A". E. For CH 20, same as "B" but with red spring. F. For CH 20, same as "C" . G. For CH 26, same as "A", hole 3. This according to my book latest repair manual. All springs are for 37-3800 RPM high idle and 3600 RPM WOT which is considered tight governing for genset application. If the above is confusing, PM me with your E-mail address and ask for CH gov springs.