Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lug tires

darren7116

Hi guys i need some new lug tires for this coming snow season. I have a set of Goodyear terra-tire supergrip on the 7117 right now that i used last season and they worked great. here is the problem though they were given to me off of a buddies pulling tractor and they are all chewed up from a weight bar digging into them so now they are bad enough this year that i can see the tube a great deal. I just got home from a local tire shop and they can get me a set of carlisle tru powers for $99 a piece. I also called a local Firestone shop to check on the Firestone flotation 23s they cant get them. Miller tire wants $130 for them on there web site. To expensive for my blood. I like the Goodyear's that i got but sounds like they are hard to find and don't really know how expensive they would be. I herd the carlisle tru powers are pretty good i probably am going to go with those. So anyway enough of my babbling what do you all think would be my best bet? Thanks guys

Here is an alternate suggestion. Small ag tirea are low volume I would assume and no longer inexpenive. You could go to turf tires and chains, as a thought. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=deestone&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I would do terf s and chaines in a minute i have used that setup for years at my parents. But i have a concrete driveway and dont want to mark it all up, and i live in a subdivision and do alot of plowing for my neighbors and dont want to ter up there drives also.

I've been very happy with my Carlisle TruPower 23x10.50-12 lug tires. They lay pretty flat on the stock 7" wide Simplicity rims:

Many other lug tires of the same size should be mounted on wider rims (check the specs before you buy). The above can be mounted on 7" rims according to the mfg data: http://www.carlisletire.com/products/big_biters/trupower/index.html

Though I've never used them on snow I'm VERY happy with the tru-powers I have on my 4040. 130 for firestones, wow, nice we have no inflation, I paid 89 for my last set and I do love them.

IMO, the TruPower is a much better tire than the Deestones -- and better than the Carlise Super Lugs too, since they have more lugs. They're my first choice of lug tire, since the Firestones are so hard to find and so expensive... I have the 23x8.50x12 Deestones and don't care for them at all. The 8.50 Deestones also run VERY small -- they're neither as tall nor as wide as most 8.50s. I've never had 10.50 Deestones, so I can't speak to them... Here's the Nanco lugs for comparison in the 23x8.50 size -- I've seen them mounted up, and they appear to be a step up from the Deestones, at least appearance wise... http://www.gearworkstire.com/product/23X850-12-B4-Tl-N440-Super/Default.aspx

I had a set of Nanco and after having them mounted, I told them to dismount them and I took them back to where I bought them. They are shorter in height then advertised. I have a set of Super Lugs but I think I like the Tru Powers better.

Here is a comparison.

I think I will go with tru-powers on my loader tractor because I want the squared corners and wide profile. Each one of these tires has its place. The deestone tires are smaller than the carlisle but so were the original goodyears. The 23x8.50-12 deestones are identical to the original goodyears that came on my B-12. They are a good tire if you need a little more traction than a turf but don't want to tear up the lawn. You're comparing these tires with no air in them which can be decieving. As for ag-tires in snow, I've never done well with them. Chains area must.

I ran ag tires on one of my tractors with 300lb of weight and once there was ice I needed chains. Until that point they worked great. Went to two link chains on turf tires and was much happier. Just my opinion though.

Chris, I don't know about Ray's pic, but in the pic I posted above, the TruPower is mounted and aired up, so that is what it looks like mounted on a Simplicity 7" rim. Darren, The tire is about the same height as a turf tire. I'll measure the lug when I get a chance. See below for a pic of how it looks on the tractor. I've had very good luck with just the lug tire with a bunch of weight (222# wheel weights and 88# stinger) in the snow, even climbing my hilly driveway. The driveway is asphalt but NOT coated. If it were coated, I don't think that would be the case. But if I need to, I made sure the 2 link chains would fit the lug tires:

Thanks guys for the great opinions and great advice. I miss being on here.I don't have Internet at home anymore haven't had that or cable TV for about 3 years or so do to me not working since my back surgery, otherwise i would have became a member along time ago on here i love my simplicities, this site is great u all are a great help and very knowledgeable. like i said yesterday as far as the lug tires go , i have on my tractor now a pair of Goodyear super lugs they worked great last year with about 120 lbs of weight on the back i made a weight box. I want to get a good set of wheel weights too just haven't found any and for a decent price.I plan on getting the carlisle tru powers though it seems to be the most popular looks like they work real good. If it wasn't for the Goodyear's being shot i wood just leave them on for now i'm not even sure how old they are they have some deep lugs though. Well ill quit rambling i'm going to head out to dads garage here in a few and finish setting up his sunstar for the winter. Thanks guys

What do you use the tractor for? Ag's are just that; Agricultural for dirt work. For mowing in summer & snow in winter the best solution (I think) is turf tires, with winter chains...Unless you have a delicate driveway & spin alot. However this is one of those "Ford or Chevy" topics :D:D Most of us think our way is best...(including me)...Good Luck

My wife's cousin's son in law spotted a pair of almost or new pair 24 X 12 X 12 4ply ready to go into dumpster and talked to the owner about them and yep he had no use for them. They ended up at my house for some help rendered by me. They almost have a tread design as Goodyear's Super Grips. I needed new or different rims that have 8.5" rim width opening. I got a pair that had tires mounted to them for $25.00 and waded in a creek to retrieve them when I was loading up to go home from a tractor show. That's another story.:D I plan to put them on my Sunstar. The best price I have for those is about $160 ea plus freight. The left tire in the picture is a Carlisle 23-10.50 mounted and the 24 on the right unmounted.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/Lug tire.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
The deestone tires are smaller than the carlisle but so were the original goodyears. The 23x8.50-12 deestones are identical to the original goodyears that came on my B-12. They are a good tire if you need a little more traction than a turf but don't want to tear up the lawn.
I second this...I have the Deestones on my Big Ten, and like them well enough for normal use. Beats turfs. Plus, I didn't want the large, more over the top look of a 10.5 Goodyear or TruPower, and worked hard to find a set of 8.5's that would pair up with the 6x12's I used as my duals. The Deestone 8.5's matched the height of TruPower 6-12's perfectly. On the Squire, I'm going to go the other way, and try the 10.5 TruPowers for the bigger look. $99 sounds like a good price, from what I'm seeing...

I always liked the Carlisle 23x8.50x12 Power Tracs, but they quit making them. I got one stashed away, but havnt yet found a mate to it. Maybe someday..

Ag's are great tires. I still have Carlisle tru powers mounted on rims and filled with washer fluid. But, since having Carlisle All Trails mounted, I get great snow traction, and can still use them for mowing. Just another angle to think about.