Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 416 Shuttle belt

junkpile

I was just given a 416 Shuttle transmission tractor. Its missing the drive belt from the bevel gear box to the transmission. Does anyone know what length and width belt this takes? I don't have the old one to go by.

Thanks! That's the one. This thing has some slop in the tensioner where it pivots, what does this use for a bushing there? The tensioner wobbles on it's mounting stud with lots of movement side to side.

I have a shuttle trans out of a 7014. would be bappy to ship you the good used belt and a good tensioner. let me know what else you might need off the trans. make you a good deal. thanks nathan

I went down to Tractor Supply and got me a new 1/2" x 53 belt, it works without slipping now but still acts funny in reverse. It backs up but sounds like it's struggling or dragging. With the shuttle, I'd expect reverse to feel about the same as forward but its slower. Looking at the rear pulleys, when in reverse, the inner pulley stops and the tractor backs up, but just seems to take more power to go backwards. The tensioner is loose, its not in line with the belt due being loose on it's pivot bolt or stud. I can wiggle it about 3/4" each way or more. There's probably 1/2" of slop in the bushing. I was thinking of just machining up a brass bushing for the thing and redrilling it to fit again. It don't slip with the new belt, it does creep forward a bit in neutral when in gear with the pedal out. I'm thinking that someone may have adjusted this thing to make up for the bad tensioner and belt. I won't mess with the adjustments until I get the tensioner working properly.

The tensioner is worn pretty badly where it pivots on the bolt, I'm loosing about an inch of travel or tension on the belt due to the bracket deflecting to one side. The small piece of linkage on the tensioner arm is also worn pretty bad.

I have the chance to pick up a parts machine for $100, it's a 410S with a bad engine. Is the 410S the same machine other than the motor and lift mechanism?

quote:
Originally posted by junkpile
I have the chance to pick up a parts machine for $100, it's a 410S with a bad engine. Is the 410S the same machine other than the motor and lift mechanism?
same machine...

I just got home with the 410S parts machine, $100 and it came with two motors, both not running, one Kohler 10hp and one Briggs 12hp from around 1970 or so. The thing looks great compared to my 416S, I'm tempted to swap the motor over vs using the lift and hood on my 416S. The 410S has an electric clutch and pulley on the motor, my 416S has nothing but a bare crankshaft there. Of course, the electric clutch is on the blown 10hp Kohler, I'm not sure if it will work on the Briggs 12hp or not. I have to sand and paint the hood from the 410S, but at least it's not smashed or welded, even the rear fenders are better than what I had. Does anyone know of an off the shelf spray paint that will match? I can't tell looking at this if this was a bright white or an off white when it was new. I'm assuming the rest is just AC orange?

I have a can of Rustoleum marked almond but its almost a beige color, I wouldn't even call it white. Maybe their canvas white is closer? The paint on the 410 is pretty decent, where it isn't worn or rusted, its pretty close to the white on my 1986 Ford E150.The PPG paint code is 8678 for the Ford, and I see a very similar 8638 listed for AC. Maybe I can find a rattle can in the Ford white.

almost beige is correct. the original color is indeed a cream color there was some discussion that maybe the 400's were a little more "white" than the 300's... I have also used rustoleum antique white which is almost the same as almond... either way the orig. color is definately more cream than white

I had to order a few cans of antique white, not a single store around here stocks anything but bright white in off brand paints. The same with automotive paint, the local auto parts stores only seem to stock current colors, (as if someone would touch up their new car with a spray can). On the 416, the underside of the hood is orange, on the 410, it's white. Both look to be original. The 416 has had it's lower orange paint touched up before, the overcoat of paint is all but flaked off due to lack of prep. Most of it washed off with car wash and a brush. The paint underneath isn't all that bad, its decent enough to scuff and respray.

quote:
Originally posted by junkpile
On the 416, the underside of the hood is orange, on the 410, it's white. Both look to be original.
the 3 and 400s only had cream hoods...