Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 front PTO swap to fit 716 w Kohler K341 ?

MysTiK

Hi - I'm struggling to find a FRONT PTO clutch/pulley for my 716H so I can run my snowblower. Blower is all setup for it; but I don't have the PTO drive. What I do have is: = the engagement lever, = which includes a safety switch, = and also the rod to front of engine (the "rod" connects the engagement lever to the "fork" that surrounds the clutch/pulley - and does the push/pull to engage/disengage the clutch. I am talking to someone by email who says he has a B110 for sale, and it has a frontPTO. That's about all the info I can get from him, so far. So I am asking you guys =>>>> if that PTO will fit my 716. My 716, has a Kohler K341 with a 1" shaft - I guess first question, assuming motor is original on the B110 (??), IS will a PTO from that tractor fit my 716? I am trying to get more info from him; but he seems a man of few words. I just asked if it works and if he knows anything else about, such as, is the motor original, or repower. Getting info is difficult; and I don't want to waste time on futility. Sorry to waste your time. Any info appreciated. Thanks (edit) I know some will want to suggest using the mid-pto - but that's a whole new hitch and the side bracket for the midpto, etc. My blower just needs front pto and a belt, and I'm there. It might be necessary to abandon this idea; but I haven't given up yet. 8) :D .

On the B 110 the blower engagement was on the hitch its self. Unless he had the grille removed from the B 110 I don`t think there would be enough room for him to ad a 3400 - 7000 series manual front PTO on the engine behind the grille. I would ask him to send a picture of the front PTO. If yours K 341 is a 1" shaft, so is the B 110 if it is original motor. I would definitely ask for pictures though.

I think most people consider all the large frame FDT's to have a front PTO which is simply the 1" engine shaft sticking through the grill. You definitely want pictures!

I'll see if I can get some pix today of my project snowblower. I am putting an electric clutch pulley on a FDT class engine, essentially what you are doing just in a different body. It costs around $50-60 to get one on ebay and another couple bucks for a switch and wire. Probably easier than it is to get a mechanical setup.

The unit I have installed on my FDT(12hp briggs) is off a STX Deere, 12hp vertical Kohler. Dunno if the horizontal K's are different, but I figured I would clarify that.

Wow you guys are good - of course you all just simply KNOW THAT now dontcha? Still I am surprised at number of responses. Thanx. This guy is very difficult to understand, never mind get accurate info. No idea where he is either - I think it's a lost cause trying to communicate. He doesn't seem to get it - lol. My ad describes in detail my setup and my needs, and he's asking basic questions - like, what tractor do you have. I repeated everything, asked what he has, and he answers B110. full stop. omg 8) :D It's like ahhhh ok, kin ya spill rid-nikk?? lolol. sm00 Another guy has an electric for 100. :O I have seen a few like that here in the Canadian economic wonderland. Ads like that seem to get old and fade away. You know the story. I don't know for sure; but I think there's certain model numbers of electric clutches that are designed to fit certain engines. I saved the numbers for my 716 somewhere - but I really want to use the funky old manual engagement clutch - this has become an obsession, or an act of faith, something defying reason to some folks. And I worry about my old "boy tractor" getting clutch slammed as well. I like the feel of easing in my mower deck pto. And 716 was the end of the front pto scene - afaik.
quote:
Originally posted by stangman1
If I remember correctly from the old Simplicity dealership days, (just worked there) there were different front clutches for Briggs and Kohler.
@stangman1 = My research indicates that for Briggs and Kohler of the same late 70's era, at least, the clutch is identical - but - there's 2 little holes on the "fork", and one hole is Briggs, other is for Kohler. You just pick the right hole for the rod attach to the fork. But maybe different on other years, don't know that. Actual mount on the motor should be same as well - seeing is believing however. This info from install instrux that I stole from somewhere. Having said that -
quote:
Originally posted by sliderxc
the unit on the 716 alis is electric so you just need to mount an electric pto on the kohler motor the one for the briggs was mechanical
It's not easy getting info on these items - but this is opposite to info I have found. The engage lever and safety switch and rod, that I have already, are on my parts tractor - a 716-6speeder/no motor. Granted, there is evidence that someone before me did a little customizing to fit some things - and the blower is AC-yellow, AND it also came with the 716-6 parts tractor; but I was told PO used it with that tractor before he "lost" the motor, a K341, same as my "boy tractor" 716H. So, actual fact, I know what was there previously. Not saying you're wrong; but the plot thickens, for sure. Whatever I put on there has to match the mounting holes on the engine as well. And on that note - I should PM Mike and see if he has any interesting pix. And maybe approx measurements of mounting holes on his Briggs unit. Like I almost said, seeing it done, is believing it's done. Further comments more than welcome. @dentwiz = You are welcome to post your project here, if you like; or a new thread if you think that would be better. @Larry = nice pix, really clean machine wow. And point taken. sm03 @Ray = thanx as usual for accurate information. sm01 and yes, I still write small novels in threads. :D Thanks all for all this good stuff. . p.s. - My tractor is a "boy tractor" because of a similar item to the horizontal shaft featured in Larry's pix. and I wonder how some of you call your tractor "she". 8D I checked; mines definitely a boy!

As far as my manuals indicate, Simplicity/Allis never installed an electric PTO on the 700 series. The 400 series AC's did have a K341 with an electric PTO.

There is one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers-Garden-Tractor-Complete-Front-Crankshaft-PTO-Drive-/280778471272?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D280774481044%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4421132273268553951