Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 ring gear.

HerbP

The other day I went to start my 720 only to, apparently, ignite an argument between the ring gear and starter. It seems the starter won so now they're no longer engaged in mutual cooperation. The ring gear has turned to reveal a smoother darker side of itself which has the starter simply reeling in futility... I have decided to take the starter's side in this whole altercation and hope to replace the ring gear with one that takes a keener interest in dental hygiene... Is this the correct part, do we think? http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_131&products_id=465 (part number 104-0779) Looks like jacksengine.com lists them though I don't know about stock yet.

yeah. The part of the story I neglected to include is that the previous owner of the tractor did buy a brand new starter and installed it, and had noticed the ring gear was damaged so he shimmed the starter with some 1/4" flat steel to push the starter gear further into the ring gear... My hope is that the ring gear hasn't now trashed my otherwise 'new' starter... Is the ring gear installation consistant with doing one on a car? ie: slice the ring gear so it springs off in your face. Put the flywheel in the freezer and the new ring gear in the oven, bash them together with a rubber mallet?

Someone else will need to chime in Herb. I've not done one on these tractors yet... But your description fits some of the other heavy equip I reprd in my Mechanic days..."heat one/freeze one/and work fast" Good Luck...

hmm. That number doesn't come up on either jackssmallengines.com or onanparts.com ... You just reminded me that I do have the manual pdf... I feel a bit of a retard for not thinking of it, and you're right. That's the number in the manual. I wonder if it's been superceded or something.

You might get ahold of this gent, he has a lot of older onan parts. http://www.ebay.com/sch/mikes_garage_sale/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p3984