Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

14 hp overhaul

Willy

I picked up a 14HP Briggs to put in my B-10 I checked the compression 55lb was all I could get out of it even by squirting oil in the cyl. I pulled the head and found a busted ring,and it plowed a neet furrow in the cyl wall. I tried taking it out with a cyl hone but it's to deep for a decent job so I'll have to have it bored. I talked to a guy that is supost to be a wrench and he said after boring to just go with 10 over rings with my standard piston. I've been a machanic for years and never would have attenpted something like that. Have any of you all ever tried it?? Seem like you would get a lot of piston slap and skirt wear.

have heard of it but never tried it. yes there will be a lot of slop but these are not what you would call high revving engines. i wouldn't try it on a 7k rpm hot rod motor. if you can afford the parts and have the time to wait for them, then do so. but if you need that snow blower up and running before the big storm, i'd run it. i wouldn't even bother with an overbore. my 2 cents worth

For one thing, you can't even get .010 rings/pistons through Briggs anymore. You can still get them through ROTARY aftermarket. Briggs only offers .020. Personally I would recommend against using the oversized rings on the standard piston. It will increase all your toleracnces and yes increase piston slap. Most likely the old piston is worn anyway.

I would not do that, spend the extra money and do it correct you'll be glad that you did down the road check ebay you might get a piston and rings at a good pricehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/engine-rebuild-BRIGGS-STRATTON-Cast-Iron-14-16hp-/120801538860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2055332c#ht_1849wt_952

Willy, I agree with the others. Don't do it. I have used 10 over rings in a slightly over spec std. bore. I had to grind the ring ends for clearance. In your case, with the scratch, that won't work. I hope that 20 over re-bore will clean up your cylinder. That's about the only size that is offered. Good luck, Jim

I remember my dad putting 10 oversize rings on a standard piston in a STANDARD bore by doing like Jim, grinding the ring ends for proper gap, can't see doing it in a bored out hole though.

Speaking as one who did custom ground .020 rings on a standard piston, it worked for about 2 years and blew the piston from cracks. Hindsight, proper piston AND grind is worthwhile.

I'll take the block in Monday and see what the machinist think it will take to clean it up,then I'll go from there. I think I can get a 20 over piston so I'll probable go that route. Thanks for the feed back. Willy

If you can look up the part number the .10 piston+ring sets are still available as Generics from Tulsa Small Engine's website but you have to dial the number in the search window to find them.

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
If you can look up the part number the .10 piston+ring sets are still available as Generics from Tulsa Small Engine's website but you have to dial the number in the search window to find them.
Tulsa has 20 over pistons and rings,for no more than they charge for the complete set I'll go ahead and do it right. I wouldn't feel right doing it any other way. Thanks for the Tulsa web site. Willy

I'm right behind you Jim...I just got a 16hp with a busted rod. Was trying to decide on a hone job w/oversized rings or a .020 bore and new piston & ring set, they all sold me...Bore & new piston it is for me too. Why spend almost as much & have trouble later...sm01

The wear in the ring land in the piston is difficult to determine of its extent of wear. There is only one sure way to get it right is to replace the piston as well.(high hours) Old piston with new rings on a stander bore is one thing (low hours). But when over-sized I would just get a matching aftermarket set If $ is a issue. Or go completely Briggs parts. Have you checked for cylinder out of round yet. Its been my experience you need to have it miked for bottom wear on the thrust side. you could find .020 not be enough. The cost of boring is the same for .020 or .030 I'm not saying you did anything wrong but if you have honed it good and could not get the mark out you passably have set yourself up for a bore and new piston regardless. I have a 14hp and a 16hp Kohler right now that is so bad I am looking at a new sleeves in both. The 14hp smokes like crazy and shows signs of someone has already did a quick fix that failed. The 16hp runs great but knocks like crazy and has a out of round cylinder. Just my experence....

I checked the Cly with a taper gage,the wear wasn't bad but it did have a little taper towards the bottom. I believe ,020 will clean it up nicely. I'll know Monday or shortly after.