Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CCP

Billet Rod for 16 HP Briggs

CCP
After talking to the local Simplicity dealer he told me that the .020 under size connecting rod for the cast iron Briggs has been discontinued. I work in an engine machine shop and he asked if there was anything I could do. I then decided to make a whole new rod at home on my mill using just a rotary table. It did take some time to make and I attached some pictures. The real problem is to start on them I would have to make about 16 rods. Just want to see if there is anybody interested in them. Specs. 7075 Aluminum 6.4375 center to center .800 wrist pin The big end could be machined to any under size. The prototype was made out of 6061 and was not drill for the oil hole and needs to be machined different for the dipper to bolt on. If there was a demand for some rods I would make the blanks and have the outside profiled on a cnc machine.

CCP
I did talk to the shop that could do the profiling for me but they did not give me a price on that part of the job. Depending on what that ends up i was thinking in the range of 120 to 140. Now for the OEM cast rods I don't know what there alloy make up is. The 7075-t6 has a tensile strength of 74,000 to 78,000 psi. The 7075 cost more then 6061 but should have less problems being run right on the crank journal. I did try to find a bearing to put in the standard rods but couldn't find one. In the Kohler rods we bore them and use a bearing out of a continental motor. I also thought about having them recast the rods but I was told it is not just a standard casting. The aluminum have to be forced into the casting to make it strong enough for a rod. I just didn't look for a shop that could do that. The aluminum comes in 12 foot length and I would have to buy two pieces (one for the rods and one for the caps). The price of the aluminum is to high to only make one or two rods. I just want to see if anyone still rebuilds any of these old Briggs.

GLPointon
I have a 16 HP Briggs that needs a piston rod & dipper assy... I want OEM specs but would like it .010 or .020 under if I could find a shop to turn down my crank. Are the measurements you gave the OEM specs (.800 pin, etc...)? I'm going to rebuild this 16hp for my own "worker" tractor & I want it to be tough & outlast me... Anyway I am very interested. Can you give a ballpark finished price? Thanks, Greg

CCP
Yes the rods are to fit OEM specs. I work at Ron's Automotive Machine in Sterling Illinois and I am the one that grinds all the cranks. I don't deal with the pricing but the number is 815-625-4414. Once again this is not worth making only one rod and needs to have a higher demand first. Just remember the OEM rods only came in a .020 under size. This one is for dlcentral I would like to know were you can buy these China under size rods. The ones from the Briggs dealer were $60 and he said they couldn't get them anymore. I did try to find cheaper cast one so let me know were you can buy them.

Chris727
The standard ones appear to be available for $63.25. B&S part number 299632 The .020 under are NLA original part # 390306 Tulsa engine warehouse has primeline rods for $18.88 + frt. http://tewarehouse.com/7-03869