Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Redappel

catch of the day

Redappel
Once thought extinct........the Simplicity Weedkiller! [A href='http://members.home.net/terry9/Tractor/weedkiller.htm'][img src='http://members.home.net/terry9/Tractor/images/weedkiller1.jpg'][/a]

SmilinSam
They are out there , lurking in the shadows..................... Actiually I have found another one too, but I have yet to get ahold of the property ownwer to see if it could be bought. If I ever meet with success it will be the 3rd to pass through my hands. Enjoy, its an ecstatic find! Sam

SmilinSam
Terry, That's nice. Can you share with us how and where to your success ? What price did you have to pay ? What models and years do they fit ? Nice find on your part. Those are definately a neat looking piece of equipment.

SmilinSam
Go into Simpletractors and look up Simplicty and you will see afew pictures. They were made starting in 1967 with the 2010 and 2012 and were made on up into 1969. I did run into an old Simplicity employee at the show here that told me that they were sold on into 1970. I assume selling the remainder of the 69' models. He said they were discontinued after several lawsuits citing safety concerns. This is what I was told. Sam By the way you can still get copies of the owners/parts manual from Simplicity Publications 1(262)284-8519 Weed Cutter Mfr. No. 370 Publication # TP-1277

ka9bxg
Does anyone know how well they work. Sam you must have used yours ? What actually makes them different than a lawnmower ? They look like they have the same idea using multiple blades ? I am just curious, of course I too wouldn't mind having one of those bad boys.

SmilinSam
They dont have any vacuum to pull the grass up and throw the cuttings out of the way. They kind of Bulldoze the cuttings aside. They are lousy in weeds that are thick like grass or taller than around 3 feet. But What works best is if you have a patch you only want to mow say once every 4- 6 weeks where the weeds dont get thick and not much over 2' tall. Start by mowing the areat down with a walk behind (Bachtold for instance) or a bush hog on a tractor. Then take the "weed Killer" in and have at it every so often. Works pretty good under those conditions. You will have to find a speed where it works best, too fast and you will bulldoze the weeds over balling them up in the spindles, too slow and and you won't get the cuttings pushed out of the way and then they ball up in the spindles. It can be frustrating. I got so I usually just grab the Bachtold and go for a walk. Thats why I don't feel bad about selling the ones that I get because they seem to be valuable to the hard core collectors and I hate having things sit around that I don't use. Sam