Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone ever adapt a two stage blower

chuckdog

Was wondering if anyone ever adapted a newer simplicity two stage blower to work on an older simplicity large frame like my 7117. The single stage I got is pretty worn out, and will work ok for this year but was wondering if instead of looking for another single stage if I would be better looking for a two stage and adapting it to work.

HOw new of a blower are you thinking? Newer used blowers can be expensive and you would have to adapt the undercarrige. Someone may have done it cause there are some pretty smart guys that post here. Think I would look for a better single stage cause I don't have a welder. Good luck.

My guess is that you would have to do it with a front PTO-electric clutch and drive shaft arrangement because of the blower-auger location. And you might encounter serious driveline angles because of the lifting-lowering angles might not be the same.

Well, I'll be the first to admit that I don't do anything easy. I was just wondering if they work better and are worth the effort. I have never looked at one really close to see what it all would take, just thinking out loud. I have my own stick welder and access to a wire welder and am pretty handy on fabbing stuff. Just thinking.

looking at the 2 stage on my Prestige I think center pto would work would have to rework mounting BUT blower is positioned farter ahead than the single stage think it would be hand ful lifting even for hydro lift on the other hand I saw an Ariens 36 2 stage on EBay thought it was good price

A snowblower built for an Ariens HT model would be pretty easy to adapt as it runs off a front mule drive,you'd have to add a front electric clutch and rig a lifting mechanism.Those Ariens 2 stage blowers are among the best in my opinion.

• 11 months later...
How about this twist? Hitch up a self powered walk behind, to the front of a tractor? Remove handle bars, re-route/extend throttle control and ignition cut-out, auger control and chute direction control. Set the wheels to free-wheel, then just go! I thought about mounting it, but that would put too much weight up front. But by hitching it to the front, the weight would be born by the walk behind's wheels. It shouldn't articulate like a two wheel wagon, but would slide as the front wheels are turned, much like a fixed blade. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Here is a nice demo comparing the single and the two stage blowers. Not much thinking for me to decide which I would buy. Just sayin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI-AFIA56yo&feature=related

[quote]Here is a nice demo comparing the single and the two stage blowers. Not much thinking for me to decide which I would buy. Just sayin. [/quote One of those is a little 2 stroke lightweight blower. The 2 stage is a much bigger self propelled unit. Those ain't apples to apples! Just sayin. [:o)]:D

I honestly don't know why you would need more than the big Simplicity single stage attachments. I know the two stage will throw farther, but they are much more expensive and much heavier. For 99.98% of people with a residential driveway to clear and don't live in Alaska or the Lake Superior snow belt, the single stage will be just fine. Here are two videos of me with my 42" single stage blower. One is mounted on my 7016 with the front PTO while the in the other it is on my newer Sovereign. I'm perfectly happy with the performance. Sure beats a shovel! [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg2Gmq2EjLA [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjUH3UzRkQ

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
[quote]Here is a nice demo comparing the single and the two stage blowers. Not much thinking for me to decide which I would buy. Just sayin. [/quote One of those is a little 2 stroke lightweight blower. The 2 stage is a much bigger self propelled unit. Those ain't apples to apples! Just sayin. [:o)]:D
You are 100% correct. Those machines aren't comparable at all. I think the reason they did it however, was because both of those machines sell for the same price, so they're comparing the performance of equally priced machines and showing what you can buy for the same money.

I've used both and with the typical heavy wet snows we get here the single stage was all but uselsss and the 2 stage I have on my Ariens GT will blow anything including the large chunks at the end of the drivway where the state piles the snow up.Like Hood said a blower off a HT Ariens should work as it drives basically like the Simplicity does,the Blowers that go on a GT or S Ariens are 4ft and shaft driven so they'd be harder to convert over.