Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gr-made

64 Landlord Compression

gr-made
Hello Everyone: Well I solved the problem with my spark on my tractor after my rebuild (see message 4404). I had the coil tested and it was bad. I put on a new Magnetron Ignition. I am getting a great blue spark now. I also put in a new flywheel key which many have suggested before. However I am not able to get the tractor to start up now. I put the compression tester on the motor and am only able to get around 15 pounds. It is a Briggs Easy Spin 243431 0627-02 7605171. My question is what should I test now? I had 95 pounds when I tore it down. I tore it down due to a cracked camshaft and a blown up governor. I put in new rings when I rebuilt. I did not bore the cylinder because it was within spec and looked good. I also lapped the valves while I had it apart. Could I have put the valves in incorrectly? Could I have a stuck valve? Could the rings be bad? I would think even with bad rings you should get more compression than 15 pounds. I need some guidance because I am stumped and ready to get my new 40 year old tractor on the lawn. Thanks for all of your help as always. I hope when I get as much experience as the rest of you I can pass it on. GR-Made

SmilinSam
I have not worked with the easy-spin engines. Maybe someone can tell you how the compression release system works (and enlighten me also). Could it be that it is not releasing so engine can have compression once it fires?? Just an unqualified thought!! Marion W. Kerr

Ben_H
just a suggestion, when i ever take and engine apart and I am putting it back together i ture the head or make it smooth from when the engine may have gotten extra warm and warpped the head a little. One can fix this by taking 400 grit sand paper and tape it to a peice of glass such as a old window to make sure there is a smooth surface then put the head face down on the sandpaper and sand in a curcular motion untill the the head suface is compleatly smooth. This makes my engines run alot better everytime. It helps seal the head gasket area and make good compresion

jlasater
I don't have my B&S manual handy, but if memory serves, the "Easy-Spin" feature just keeps the intake valve open slightly at slow speeds (starting speed) and when the engine fires up, it's running fast enough that the slight intake valve dwell doesn't matter.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]