Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Al

Finding t he Freedom Train the Ultimate trac

Al
Hi, Several years ago, someone here told me when I was going to Portland OR that I should connect with his brother and the tractors he played with. Like 2000 hp steam locomotives. I went down and looked him up and they had The FREEDOM TRAIN and its mate locomotive in an old maintenance building in Portland. They had a couple of other locomotives they were restoring and another restored. They were all volunteers and it was a great experience. Being able to climb and explore these wonderful traction machines. About 130 feet long with the tender. They told me they had the freedom train locomotive to 90 mph but a lot of vibrations and shaking started. These things were awesome. The city of Portland was taking the old building down and a new home would need to be found for these wonderful old monsters. A uear ago, I was down to see the guys and engines and the building was gone as were the engines. Would the person who asked me to look up his brother and check out the tractors he played with please contact me and tell me how and where I can go and "fondle" these wonderful old machines again. I would really appreciate it. It was someone on this talking tractors forum. Thanks in advance. Al Eden

midnightpumpkin
Al, Is this the post you were thinking of? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83588&SearchTerms=locomotive[/url] We have a very interesting development taking place in our part of the country. [url]http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/[/url] They are not ready to accept vistors yet, hopefully in the near future a part of the facility will be open to visitors. John U

HubbardRA
Al, The person who posted the orignal topic is Lon McCormack (RenegadeJ) and he said he was the brother of Doyle McCormack who got the train. He was last on the site on 11/19/2011. Guess you could try to send him an email or a PM.

RenegadeJ
Hi Al... I am still here on this site couple times a week. Do not post much lately due to a damaged nerve in my right hand. Very hard and slow to use keyboard. However, sure am glad you were able to visit the locos. They must move of the the round house before Jan 2012 as the UP RR wants to expand the piggy back facility, They have started construction on new building. I have not talked to my brother Doyle for couple months..I live in Ohio and he is in Portland OR. I am sure he will be in touch around the Holidays. You might check the web sites www//sp4449.com or www//nkp109.com