Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Greasable

MPH

Sevearal years back I replaced the steering gears on my B-112 with a tight set from a B-10 because mine had worn out bushings. Well, got tired of the different gear ration so rebuilding the oem set, new bushing and roller bearings on the way. The solid, stiff red grease in the bearings hasn't provided lub for a long time, but the shafts miked out good. Decided I wanted to give them new ones a fresh shot now and then, soooo Drilled a hole through the bottom of the stud and taped

then one sideways for the grease to come out with the 1/8 inch bit I drilled up the stud with, only drilled the bigger hole deep enough to thread.

The hole for the bearing I drill at an angle so it came out above the lower bearing

Now reachable from under the tractor.

While you are replacing bearings, look at Motion Industries or Kaman, perhaps even Napa. They sell a bearing that is longer than original, giving you more bearing surface on the shaft. I replaced the bearings in my steering gear when I got the tractor and have had no problems, since. I used washing machine wringer grease in the bearings, it'll stay forever in one place, and stay pliable for most of that time. That is a good idea and good work, though. I have never liked the idea of not being able to grease an unsealed bearing such as those two.

Good idea, out of seven tractors I only have one with decent steering and that one needs an eng. I may get time this winter to try out your patent.

Haven't gotten the new parts yet but after installing the double king pin bushing I was really impressed at the steerablity of it today. I needed to blow a path out to a new door for the shop, felt so nice I blew out my walking tail of 1/3 mile, while I was out.:)

I love that Idea, Marty. Only one thing that I can see is that the hole looks quite large for the size of the stud. You could have used a 1/16 drill bit and it would have worked just as well. Then you would have only needed a larger drill for a short distance to thread for the fitting. With the pressure that you can get from even a hand held grease gun, 1/16 is plenty large. Just be careful, because if you get in a really bad spot with the front wheels fouled, you could possibly sheer that stud off with a hard twist of the wheel.