Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Double Plugging an AG Tire???

LesH

I have an AG tire on my AC that had a hole in it, plugged it, but it still leaks down gradually over a couple of days. Has anyone ever installed 2 plugs?? ( I mean you would have 4 rubber pieces in the hole).

Only if I'm in a jam would I use the rubber impregnated rope style plugs. I break down the tire and patch from the inside when the time allows. Even on a tractor, there is flexing going on that will loosen the plug(s). I'm not saying the plugs are a bad thing, they're intended to buy you some time before a permanent repair can be made. On a tractor, I would worry about dirt entering the repair area and loosening the plug.

Plugs work great in some situations, but never in the sidewall or crown on the edge of the steel belts. An inside patch is the preferred method of repair in most cases and if that doesn't work you always have the option of installing a tube. If the hole is larger than a single plug will seal well, your back at the patch solution.

A patch would be best, but I have use several tire plugs (monkey tails)in one hole with good results, and no ill effects. Try the plugs, if it dosen't work, you can always step up to a patch.

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerunner
A patch would be best, but I have use several tire plugs (monkey tails)in one hole with good results, and no ill effects. Try the plugs, if it dosen't work, you can always step up to a patch.
Same here.

quote:
Originally posted by sliderxc
break it down and patch it if not put green tire slime in the tire and drive it around for a while that will also stop it
That stuff eats the rims up(rusts them out) from what I have seen of used garden tractor rims that had that left in them.

I always plug my vehicle tires myself, over 2 dozen, and have never had an issue. I think what most people miss is that the plugs (most at least) are self-vulcanizing. Driving your vehicle at highway speeds builds enough heat in the tire to promote the self-vulcanization. Driving your garden tractor does not. I plugged my sons 4-wheeler tire and then added heat using a heat gun, but without overheating the tire. I can't explain what the "correct" time and temperature is to do this as I just guessed, but it worked for me. Patches cost money and time, plugs are cheap, quick and easy. Until cheap, quick and easy doesn't work I'll keep using plugs.