Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ngale65

Front counterweight and rear hitch B series

ngale65

ok guys, i have a good friend with a full machine shop and a water jet machine. i was going to have him make me a hitch and counter weight for my simplicity i am redoing. i'm just wondering if anyone else would be interested in having perfect reproduction parts made for them. the more we make the cheaper they will be. let me know if there is any interest. i was hoping to have costs for parts around 40-50 on the hitch and 100-150 for the counterweight with rod. my goal would be to have him make at least 20 of each, on know he said most of the cost is in setup so the more he makes the cheaper. if i get interest i would hope to have them all done my feb or march. i know they are a bit busy now. thanks nathan

Nuzzy
Are those prices per piece, or total for 20, or did you mean parts plus labor; seems a little high per piece for cost on parts based on what's in the pics...? I only say that based on knowing our cost on parts in the metal shop I work at. Regardless, water jets are great!

ngale65
im just guessing at this point based on things i have had made in the past. and that would be per piece. it very well may be less especially if i have them make at least 20. the last few things they made in stainless and i know that was expensive but i know steel isn't cheap either. i know to have them make i of each will be at least 200 total with labor and setup. like i said the more made the cheaper it will be.

Nuzzy
Well that's definitely the truth! Set up can be a bear compared to once the cutting gets going. Stainless is certainly gonna be more. I think you'd be surprised the cost of a basic mild steel vs stainless. Could you maybe save yourself some money by doing the designs yourself on the computer and then giving your buddy a .dxf file of the cuts? Programs like eMachineShop are free downloads and can be learned pretty easily. I'm certainly no guru, but have used that to make basic cut programs to run on our plasma table. Just a thought that may save ya something! Or could you handle the welding portion so that he only has to cut out the parts? I certainly don't think you're out of line with your prices as a whole. Just that it'd be nice if you could pocket a little more profit in the deal for going through the trouble of doing that work and organizing everything! 8D

Talntedmrgreen
I think there would be a market for them. I was pleased to see Ray building up the rear stingers before, then the rear PTO's and later model sleeve hitches. My guess is, he'll sell through his. I think you would too, and it would help club members. I know I'm chomping at the bit for my front/rear ball hitch. ^

gwiseman
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
I think there would be a market for them. I was pleased to see Ray building up the rear stingers before, then the rear PTO's and later model sleeve hitches. My guess is, he'll sell through his. I think you would too, and it would help club members. I know I'm chomping at the bit for my front/rear ball hitch. ^
here here! I totally agree w/Josh and yep, I am salivating thinking of the john-holcomb front/rear hitch showing up on my doorstep too. Heck I would be interested in a hitch depending on $ available.