Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 700 carburetor help

chuk

Hi, I picked up a 1959 Simplicity 700 Wonderboy tractor. It was in rough shape so I pulled it apart, degreased it, new paint, oil, spark plug and wiring. It starts but runs rough and gas seems to drip from the carburetor. I've never worked on a carburetor before and hope someone can point me in the right direction on what I need to do. Any tips or links would be appreciated. Thanks Chuk

Welcome to the club. Our club president, Ray posted this excerpt from a repair manual on adjusting the carburetor:

Make sure the engine has been running for awhile, till it reaches normal operating tempertaure. Make sure the choke lever is in, and that the cable is fully opening the choke at the carb end. Make small adjustments, say a quarter turn, and wait for the adjustment to take effect, (usually no more than 30 seconds) If you don't have a tachometer, use common sense and your ears for low idle speed..a safe bit above a rough running, ready to stall rpm. Take your time. No hurries. As for the leak, it may just be set too rich, or there is no fuel shut-off between the gas tank and carb. I've never rebuilt one, but many of these guys have. Try adjusting first. And... we like pictures...post some of the wonderboy in general and the carburator in particular.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I worked on the tractor this morning and here are the issues (and photos) 1. The needle valve requires a pair of plyers to turn in either direction. After turning it a number of turns, I never did find a stop. Is this normal? 2. Gas is still dripping from the bottom of the carb when I start it. 3. Battery is getting worn down (new battery). Does the generator recharge the battery once I get it running? Hm....I guess I don't know how to post photos here. How do I post photos? Chuk

To post photos you have to be a member. Best 10.00 I ever spent. I am here daily learning something. As for the needle valve it should stop if it doesnt then the threads may be no good. see if you can get it all the way out. It should. If ? the S/G is good it will charge the battery. Welcome to the club. Your at the right place, and when you do get the 700 running well :) you,ll be very proud.

I agree with henroan. See if you can turn the needle valve counter clockwise and take it all the way out. If you are dripping still, you may need to do a rebuild. Do a search on "leaky carburetor" or "carburetor rebuilding" here on this site. I've never rebuilt one, but I know the kits are not all that expensive. The starter/generators do charge the battery, but most of the charging systems don't charge all that well. Some are designed to charge a good bit, like an old car generator, and some are set to just charge the battery enough to get keep starting the motor. I keep a trickle charger on the T-10 all winter. You can still get brushes for the S/Gs at NAPA for about 12 bucks. There is a magneto on the flywheel that creates the voltage to spark the plug, so the engine will run without a battery. Have fun, and if you do join, you will soon see the value of the membership.

Good looking tractor! I see there is a fuel shutoff on it, so you probably have a carb issue. Let's see what the other members have to say. Welcome to the club!

Hi, I pulled the carburetor off and took it apart (first time for me). The needle valve kinda stuck. I soaked it in PB and it now turns just fine. As you can see in the picture below, I tore a gasket in separating 2 of the carburetor pieces. Does anyone know where I can buy another gasket? Thanks Chuk

P/N for gasket is 27034 Briggs and the carb kit if required is 291763. Also when assembling it back away the brass tube or you stand a cance of bending it. That's your main draft route for you high speed jet. Welcome to club.^

You may want to consider this the orig,equipment fuel line ran from a tank mounted glass bowl shut off and mesh screen filter it ran directly behind the air filter mount pipe the carb linkage accommodates the hose it then turns up to the carb inlet.With it slung low as it is you may run out of fuel when the tank is at 1/4 and on a angle.

The reason gas drips from your carb is because the float isnt pushing the fuel inlet needle against the seat to stop the flow from the gas tank when the bowl is full...so it overflows. So either: 1)The float may not be adjusted to proper height 2)the needle valve is bad or fell off the float 3)the "seat" which the needle seals against is bad a "Carb Rebuild Kit with new Float" will fix your problem. and has fairly good instructions with it. If not the're here... Welcome to the club sm01 p.s. the other 2 needle valves on the carb(with screw heads) are for adjusting "high speed" fuel flow and "idle air mixture" when engine is running and have nothing to do with fuel level in bowl. But they are equally important to the proper operation of engine...

Here is another help link. A Briggs repair manual at your disposal. Just click on the cover. And it is pretty current for most of the stuff we work on, Briggs wise. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=215&LinkName=Online%20Briggs%20&%20Stratton%20Service%20and%20Repair%20Inst.&CatID=20&CatTitle=Briggs&URL=