Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

clueless... 20Hp Sunstar

sammiefish

Ok guys... Im bigtime clueless.... i think i might actually come out of my box and possibly get into a 20Hp Sunstar.... The sheet metal is pretty good... comes with a rear hydraulic tow behind implement only... I assume this has rear remotes... the owner knows very little if anything about it... what engine should it have...he says it may need a new starter/generator... but Im pretty sure this is way too new for those... im figuring maybe its not charging... well OK.. I can deal ... and maybe the starter is bad... I can deal,,, what can or should I do when I check this out... I can bring a battery... but if it doesnt turn over then what...i know how to jump a solenoid etc... will I be able to disengage hydro to turn motor by hand??? what about other issues... I still dont know if it has 3pt hitch or rear pto... does this have splined shaft for rear implements etc?? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks chris

I just bought a sunstar and have been bringing it back from the dead. Where are you located? You can PM me if you want. If you're close I'll check it out with you. Those rear PTOs are rare and expensive. Just a rear clutch sold on ebay about a week ago for $114. Engine could be 16, 18 or 20hp kohler depending on the year. Look for a power steering cylinder on the left side of the tractor near your feet...all 20hp had them. Depends on how much they want for it but sunstars tend to hold value fairly well. Take pics and post if nothing else.

trouble here is it may not run... and I wont have too long to monkey with it ... this may be moot... ill know more later I wouldnt plan to resell but without a deck or blower im sorta hesitant on its marketability should I need to unload it. thanks for the advice

Can't tell a lot from the pics. It's 20hp, probably Kohler, it has the 2-speed rear with diff lock, a nice feature. Can't see the dash, so don't know if it has a rear PTO switch. If it has the factory remote hydraulic kit it will have a second control lever next to the deck lift lever. I've never seen one located on the rear, but I suppose it could be. If it runs that log splitter, I think it more likely has a pump mounted on the front PTO for a separate hyd. system. Many of the Command engines have a problem in the starter circuit that will cause the solenoid to click when start is engaged. But repeated attempts to start will eventually turn over the starter. That, is not a starter problem. Al has a kit to correct that condition.

How much does the guy want for it? I've seen running sunstars in the area sell for 700-1000. Non-runners with a hole in the block will bring anywhere from 300-500..again in my area. (MA)

Looks like an ealy model with the Magnum engine,appears to have 1 hydraulic lever which would mean no extra hydraulic attachments from factory.Looks pretty good I'd probably go $500 as a Pig in a Poke