Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tweinke

Electric lift.

tweinke
I have done enough lurking here that I should have realized that electric lift is REALLY slow. Just got done with pushing snow and now am trying to find a better idea. Thinking right now of finding a manual lift lever for my 917 so that I don't freeze to death waiting for the blade to go up! hydro lift would be nice but cash is short, so any suggestions from anyone? I still have not figured out how the one orange tractor I managed to find close to home had to be a very early model.

OrangeMetalGuy
I use the Armstrong lift (manual). Several reasons: 1) you've already observed that the electric is very slow. Fine for lifting the mower deck but not for plowing snow. 2) when I plow, I like to hit the banks hard then quickly lift the blade, so the snow moves up and over the already-established banks. No way you can do that with an electric lift. 3) nothing to break, no wires to come loose!

rfsmith1952
I use the armstrong lift also, when you get to the pile, lift up a bit and keep pushing. Lift a bit more, push a bit further. I keep lifting and pushing till the blade is all up, or the wheels spin or stop. Then i have room for more snow. Got a blower this year though, but haven't used it yet. We'll see.

MikeES
I find that the electric lift works good for the snowthrower. I have one on a 917 and it is not that much slower than the hydraulic lift, and you don't need the engine running to lift an atachment. If you are going to go armstrong then you need to add a counter weight to the rear hitch and have the cable connected over the top on the lift rocker. Then it is easy to lift the thrower and faster.

tweinke
Armstrong lift it will be. Hydro lift is not much faster then electric,interesting to know. Any body have a guess how about how much the counter weight should weigh, as a starting point? Or any tips on set up? Thanks guys!! :D

MikeES
I have used about a 20-25 weight. With the latching lift you can go heavier and it will almost lift itself. With the FDT (without the latching lift arm) any more than about 25 lbs. the snowblower "floats" too easy.