Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Noob Simplicity 6216 Owner Has Some Questions

jonshonda

Hello all, I am now a proud owner of a hand-me-down Simplicity 6216. I don't really have a yard big enough, and just purchased a new Ariens Snowblower to handle the snow. But I really got the fever after reading all the positive feedback on the Simplicity line. I also have always wanted a rider, and like the look of the older Simplicity. I have done a lot of reading regarding the issue, but thought I would ask you fine folks for suggestions. Please be as detailed as possible, as I am new to garden tractors and everything that encompasses them. The main reason it is a hand-me-down is that the mower will only go into first gear, reverse, and neutral. But it will not go into second or third gear. My father in law says that he never used the vari-drive. When we were rolling it off the trailer, the only way we could get the tires to roll freely ( engine not running ) was to push the vari-drive handle all the way down. I tried multiple times to get the transmission into neutral, thinking the tires would roll free then, but my attempts were thwarted. I will post pictures soon to get everyone drooling, but for now I would like to find out what parts I may need to look for, ( hopefully none ^) so I can get started asap. Here is a pic (with the hood off). Also, the tractor is leaning to one side. As shown in this pic. WHY??

First get a Owner's manual and a Service manual for the 6216's and understand how everything works and then make sure all adjustments are correct, that will weed out a lot of problems. And if the vari-drive has not been used, it may be frozen a needs to be taken apart and lubed. - Chris

I own a 6216 tractor with variable speed drive. First the tractor should roll freely in neutral with the clutch/brake off. There is an adjustment in the 6216 tractor manual for the variable speed drive pulley. This my be your problem. Does the tractor slow down going up hills. You should be able to adjust the vaiable speed drive in all forward gears. I am not at home traveling for my job otherwise I would post the adjustment for you. Hopefully it not the transmision gears. Buy the manual from the simplicity library so you have the basics for the tractor. Good luck. Moleman

If it only has 1st and reverse, the trouble is inside the tranny. I've had several of these and once in a while one would do this. You'll need a service manual as stated earlier. The shafts for the shifting forks Must be aligned properly. To do this you will need a manual that has all the ins and outs for the transmission. It can be done (the alignment of the shafts) without removing the trans. But I can't explain ho to do it here I'd need to show you. Just know this IT CAN BE DONE. Mel

As I stated before: every SIMPLICITY & AC owner needs to WATCH VIDEO BELOW... I had an issue like this and another member told me to search this out from U-Tube archives...Watch and good luck welcome to the club...sm01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnPXZEV0ZE

I'm a 6200 series owner myself. Glad to see another in the club. I had to do a lot of work to the drivetrain on mine. Take sunrunner's advise and start with the adjustments as described in the operators manual, then move on to the variable speed pulley and sheaves. The sheave is a finicky beast and can make the tractor do some funny things when unmaintained. From there make sure all your belt stops are in place and you may have to get into the tranny. One thing I would suggest is to look at the top mount bracket for the tranny (in front of the battery). Mine was broken when I bought the tractor which meant the tranny was actually rotated forward in the tractor, not allowing access to a couple gears in the shifting sequence. Good luck with your repair. These tractors are worth the effort. Myself and a couple guys on this site have been all through this model tractor and know it pretty well in case you need anymore assistance.

It does sound like some adjusting needs to be done. I don't know my father in law that well (he was the person who gave me the tractor ) but I thought he kept up with maintaaince, but sadly I don't think he did. I put some fresh ethanol free 91 octane in the tank and fired her up...She ran great after a few cranks. Today I came home to find a puddle under the tractor, and the smell of gas in the air. The fuel line is shot, with multiple leaks. I plan on heading to farm and barn and picking up some new rubber fuel lines, along with a in-line fuel filter.