Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dave7016

need help with 8hp tecumseh h80 engine

dave7016
Thing idles great but nothing over 1/2 throttle. As I have checked and rechecked everything I found my issue must be spark. I reset the gap twice now...(.020) but it runs crappy over 1/2 throttle...and will die out. So I notice it looks as if the coil has been moved...How do you set the gap on that when it is under the flywheel????? This may not be an issue but I'd like to set everything right and go from there.

BLT
How old is engine? Go here : http://toprake.com/index.php?module=documents&JAS_DocumentManager_op=downloadFile&JAS_File_id=2 and download thw book. Your answers will be in there.

dave7016
engine is on a snowblower, early 80's. I do a lot of snowblower work but most of the stuff I do doesn't have points and I rarely get an ignition issue. A lot of times it is cheaper to find a good used engine than buy a new coil, points and condensor.

BLT
Points are under magneto(flywheel). Go to page 70 of book. That will show points set up . You should be able to see the original marks where coil was toughened down, If you align coil to those screw marks you should be OK. Plug gap is .030. Also this is part one of a three parter on how to do it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plktb3a_-MI&feature=fvsr . the rest should be easy to find.

dave7016
just read that manual, thanks I saved it to my computer. Looks as if setting timing involves a special tool unless I remove the cylinder head so I may just keep guessing!!! I am finding it pretty easy to remove the recoil and flywheel at this point, I know I must be closer than the previous owner was. Think I'll shot a point and condensor in it right away too.