Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rpickle

Arbor pulley removal help

rpickle
I am refurbing my 42" deck. First arbor I attacked took some time and effort but eventually the pulley came free. Second arbor, not going so well. I have soaked it with PB Blaster, soaked it in the electrolosis tank for a couple days, hit it with heat and had my 2 jaw puller on it. Darn thing won't come loose. I am afraid to put much more force on it with the puller as the edges of the pulley are starting to give way. Any advice on getting this buggar loose?

GLPointon
I just went thru this rebuilding my new (used) 48" deck. 2 of the 3 were stuck-on! With my 3-jaw gear puller on it & tightened I used a propane torch and heated the pulley/shaft area for a few mins and it popped loose both times. No damage to pulleys or shaft...If yours didnt loosen I'd go hotter, get it cherry red in the center then use puller on outer edges of pulley...may need a 3 jaw puller? When rebuilding I alwys use "Anti-sieze" to avoid this in future. Good luck sm01

rpickle
Thanks for the replies. I have never used a bearing splitter or even seen one. Was at Harbor Freight this morning looking for something to help. I may have looked right at one and didn't know it.... Will try more heat. Not sure if my propane torch can get much hotter!

GLPointon
If not get a tank of Mapp Gas, It burns a few hundred degrees hotter. I use it for silver brazing often...
quote:
Originally posted by rpickle
Thanks for the replies. I have never used a bearing splitter or even seen one. Was at Harbor Freight this morning looking for something to help. I may have looked right at one and didn't know it.... Will try more heat. Not sure if my propane torch can get much hotter!

MrSteele
Bearing splitters from Harbor Freight are usually good for one time use, or were for me, anyway. Spend a few more bucks and get something you feel happy with in your toolbox, something you can use again next time!

comet66
If the shaft does not extend beyond the pulley, you can tack weld a large nut onto the pulley hub, and use a bolt to push the shaft out of it. If the shaft extends too far out, a pipe coupling can be used between the nut and pulley hub. Then cut the tacks and reinstall.