Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Vari-Drive Seal Replacement

GLPointon

I moved my B210 from her parking spot and behold: a big oil spot...90w gear lube. followed it to the BGB right side seal behind the Viriable Speed Drive pulley. When I restored this last summer this is the seal I skipped, see how it goes...

Vari-Drive Pulley came off easily with a puller.

Removed key from keyway & spacer & washer comes off shaft with a little persuasion...

Removed bolts and SidePlate came off...

Finally can see the Seal...

As you can see it took some doing to get the old Seal out. punched a hole and used hooked/seal puller several times. tore it out...

I used a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe as a seal driver to evenly drive in & countersink the Seal...

Another suprise...I drained the gear-oil and found this:

Tractor has never been used yet but has been washed twice, vent plug on top of BGB is bad allowing water in...Replaced with one from a parts tractor and flushed with cheap motor oil then drained and filled with good gear lube...

Installed correct thickness of shims so Sideplate will hold Seal in place at propper depth...then installed Sideplate

Installed Washer & Spacer & Key,

Re-installed the Vari-Drive Forks & Pulley

Installed Clutch Pulley Bracket, Linkage & C-clip:

Put on Belt and double check all fasteners and check for leaks...

Tire & Chains on...

Ready for "Light Snow Duty"... The 7010 with the Cab & Snowblower will be doing the heavy work. But I cant wait to try her out...sm01

Great write up, I wish I had the patience to stop and take pics. I guess the glove help keep the camera clean. I usually go without gloves, but they make sense. jh

Nice shots and good process description. I am curious about the replacment seal you used. The new seal I was sent was not made like the old one so I had to machine a spacer to get the correct (original) thickness and to get the side stack pressure off the thin rim of the new seal. Was your replacment seal like the one in the photos?

Awsome machine work...No actually my new seal was thicker than the one replaced (Was not an open back seal like your new one pictured) the shims I'm holding in the Pic are the extras I didnt need to put back in...I got my seal from local Simplicity Dealer, dont know who made it.

Thanks John, I am hoping everyone isn't tired of my forum entries. More "how-to" than "show & tell". But I like to try to help those that havent done these repairs yet, plus you guys can advise me if I screw-up.;) My wife got me the Mechanix gloves (she is tired of me having "mechanics hands" where the black stains wont always come out of your finger-print grooves). I actually grew to like 'em (the gloves not the stains)...& it is easier to hold the camera :D
quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
Great write up, I wish I had the patience to stop and take pics. I guess the glove help keep the camera clean. I usually go without gloves, but they make sense. jh

Steve you have a metalworking lathe? Would you be interestrd in turning a small bolt spacer(sleeve) I need for an adjustable shifter? It would fit in a letter size envelope. Let me know...Thanks...and Nice job on your "seal spacer"dOd
quote:
Originally posted by Steve72
Nice shots and good process description. I am curious about the replacment seal you used. The new seal I was sent was not made like the old one so I had to machine a spacer to get the correct (original) thickness and to get the side stack pressure off the thin rim of the new seal. Was your replacment seal like the one in the photos?
[img]/club2/attach/Steve72/BG Seal.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Steve72/BG Seal 2.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Steve72/BG Seal 3.JPG[/img]

I have one at our shop (check out our short video if you have time) and sure---send it to: ToolingDocs 2112 Baney Road Ashland, OH 44805 http://www.toolingdocs.com/train/Tour.htm

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PhanDad
    • SmilinSam
    • BLT
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts