Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lets hear your storys

perry

OK, fess up :Q. lets hear your shifting from 1st to 3rd gear story's, i know i can't be the only one that does it :D. i am so used to going from 2nd to reverse. i RARELY use 1st gear and i have found myself numerous times working a FDT at high throttle and going from 1st to 3rd on accident having some close calls. and you know, you only use first gear in tight areas and in a hurry sm00. there has been plenty times. some just startle ya, but these are the worst of them. mowing grass - shot the bigten into the bird feeder pole(no damage). went from 1st to 3rd and pulled a wheelie while mowing with big ten. came down next to a tree and landed on high roots grinding the mower blades on them. barely missing tree. just about launched the landlord 2010 off the back drop steps when plowing snow off the deck :O. heart pounding close call while grading my wood splitting mess with the red rag landlord , i launched it into the wood splitter I-beam busting out the original guide light and denting the bezel. had a pic of damage but couldn't find it. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/abc003.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/sears026.jpg[/IMG]

I had a Wheel Horse that was a manual. Sorry I did not enjoy any of the fun like you have. I ground the gears some, and did mis-shift. I just did not do it at a point that would have got me in trouble. Having said that I do have to admit that I wish my 7114H was controlled like other tractors where it takes foot pressure to move and the default is neutral. I fear the time that I have an off the tractor experience and it still being in drive. My seat switch has long been gone so that means the tractor blades turn and the tractor would be on the loose. I will not let my young son operate until I add some saftey back in.

What a great topic! I haven't done the 1st-to-3rd since I've owned my own tractors, but when I was a kid I did it twice. Back then, my old man had my Grandfather's 2110, which I LOVED to use. The old man LOVED that I wanted to use it too, but forbid me from being rough on the tractor (we all have done a wheelie on purpose...) The first time I missed reverse, I was pushing snow and could barely reach the pedal anyway. I hit 3rd on accident, and then hit the house. There was enough of a snowbank against the house that I rode up the siding a ways, peeling it off with the blade as I went. I stopped when the axle tube snapped. sm02 The old man welded the tube and a season or two later, while mowing grass, I eased into a corner in 1st gear, nice and close to the chain link fence in the back yard. I was Joe Cool, and was pretty good at shifting now, and threw the shifter over hard enough that my pinky finger got snagged between the shifter and the housing, shearing off my finger nail and whatever meat was under that...my foot slipped off the clutch and into the fence I went. I couldn't get back on the clutch fast enough and POP went that dang tube again. The old man welded it again, and then sold the tractor a few years later. I recently bought it back into the family...with a nasty busted tube that had layer upon layer of welds on it and was no longer repairable sm00 I replaced the rear end...The old man 'borrowed' it 6 months ago, and even had the go-nads to stop by and look through my garage for chains last week! I don't think I'm getting it back anytime soon...C

Sounds like we all need a tether switch installed.For that off the seat moment like Steve mentioned shewwweee that has happened to me. You know just reaching over while your driving along to try and pick up a stick before next pass.That has got me in trouble before.Accidentally hit neutral on way down the hill and was leaning a little to far out to reach brake.Wow what a rush needless to say it took few cuts to get my lines looking striaght after that mow...weaving between trees at 15mph.LOL as i write this.

Not a 1st to 3rd, but related to the topic. I have 8' 2x8s with the ends on them to load/unload from my truck. I was backing my WB off my truck one day and it started going too fast down the ramps. I pulled the stick back to slow down and I pulled a wheelie right on the ramp,,,, then over I went, gently landing on the ground on my hinder with the tractor coming to rest next to me. :O:O:O I had my teeth clenched and my head forward just in case.

I took the seat off my Big-10 to recover it,then before I got around to it the grass needed mowed I took the old seat and just sat it on not fastened,no back just a pad. I was about half finished and decided I should water the garden,so I set out the hose and sprinkler. In the proses I got my shoes muddy,well back on the tractor I went, I stuck it in third gear my foot sliped off the clutch and I done a complet back flip off the tractor. I landed on my hands and knees,it's a good thing I landed in the racers position because I had to chase the B-10 down before anyone seen me.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
I was backing my WB off my truck one day and it started going too fast down the ramps. I pulled the stick back to slow down and I pulled a wheelie right on the ramp
Tim, I could FEEL your story! =] I cannot imagine backing mine down ramps...you're a braver man than I. My clutch is pretty touchy, and it's hard to keep that light front end on the ground when in HI 8)

Perry, had an experience just last week moving one of the B1's in the shop. Trying to park it tight to one of the big trucks so I can reorganize stuff. Made the wrong move and shot ahead about 3 ft. in a 3ft 1in. space. Makes the old heart go pitipat! Fortunately didn't make contact with motorcycle in front or it would have knocked it off it's stand. Dave

I was helping a buddy move some non runners around the property so he could do a little clearing. We liked to play around a bit and I would hold the brake making the tow tractor grunt and pull a bit more, usually spinning his tires in the gravel. Well we went down into a bottom yard and on the way back up, I hit the brake right as he was breaching a hill. The tow tractor decided it was done spinning tires and bit down hard. I guess mine was heavy enough to stop his momentum and the tow tractor acted like it was climbing a wall and over it went right onto him. He landed on his back and was able to use his feet to catch the running boards and hold it off of him. Meanwhile im flying off mine and running to push it off of him. THANKFULLY nobody got hurt and the tow tractor just suffered from a bent muffler. We dont play like that anymore. Now the skidsteer picks them up and moves them effortlessly. Its all fun and games till the tractor flips back on your buddy. Then its time to go into the house and change your britches.

Mounting a running tractor...foot hits the shift lever and the tractor goes into gear without the clutch while you are half mounted...hope you have a good hand on the steering wheel as the rest of you is flopping around like fish.

I haven't had a lethal mis shift yet on the B-series but I do have a couple cases of whiplash from it. Of course then there were a few cases of let-down, the reverse of it :) when you go 1st when you think you are going to 2nd. The most risky one I have had was before I put a bike handlebar grip on my clutch pedal my foot would slide off. :O Now there is a BMX flanged rubber grip on it and it's so worth it:D There was one time I was redoing a Broadmoor and I got the secondary transmission belt backwards(the 90 deg one). It was in the garage almost toe to toe with the nice 64 LL so when I turned it on it was going in "reverse" straight forward into the row of tractors:O Then the kill switch didnt work either... At least the hood and grille weren't on...

Sorry, no wrong gear stories. My work tractors are shuttles and hydros. Just have to learn forward and reverse levers. My 61 Wards is a three-speed but I don't use it as a primary work tractor anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by littlemarv
Man I can't wait to get my B-10 going...... sounds like these tractors are a HOOT!
ya, they have no conscious :D. they will suprise you at times, in a good way ;)

when raking leaves in the fall. i use the b 10 with a snow blade, to push the piles to the compost area (woods). last year i was in first gear went to put it in reverse 3 rd. i took my father out. tripped him, no one got hurt luckily. thats why they say to stay clear of these machines when running!!! only safety is a emergency brake.

I and a Neighbor were playing around with the 2210 and his cub cadet (yea, I was bragging a bit telling him the old 10hp Briggs simplicity would pull him all over the yard!. we chained them up set the Landlord into first figuring I would get the better traction and power. I was towed backwards three feet when I braked and popped it into third gave her some more juce and let the clutch out; with the front tires off the ground.... not only dragged the cub but tipped it over backwards throwing my neighbor over his hood (still have brag rights on that pull) LoL!

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
Once you go HYDRO you will never go back.:D
I couldn't say it better, having run hydros for 36 years now.... :D:D:D

Well, I am still bruised from my last time. I was being neighborly, cutting grass for the family that had moved in next door without a lawnmower. Out of the goodness...anyway, I was cutting under some limbs, had hit some tall grass before, so was in first, reached down, shifted into third because the grass was shorter and sparse, popped the clutch, and before I could stop, push the clutch back, anything, I hit a low hanging limb that knocked me backwards off the tractor. It ran right into one of my trees, bent the hood and grille slightly, and kept digging into the dirt. I never tried to explain the nasty bruise, other than a tree limb did it!