Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

this can't be good

Mike

Last year I changed the oring between pump and trans, this appears to be leaking every where, even at the axles
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/leak.jpg[/img]

could it be over full and leaking out the axle seals? I believe they require 3 quarts for full, but would have to check the manual. They will hold more than that.

Spray the oily areas down with Brake-Kleen or an equivalent so all gets dry. Drain down your existing fluid and then refill to the recommended amount, Start the tractor and look for leaks. The spray cleaner is a $1.75 per can and it makes a good cleaner. You will need more cardboard to catch the drips and probably a ventilated area.

I just drained the system and installed 3 qts of fluid, it leaked a bunch, I plowed and it worked fine and then leaked this amount. It always had a drip seems to have really started leaking more after I tightened the drain plug. I did spray it down with brake clean, seems like it's leaking most at the axle tubes. Why did I sell that spare rear end? I really hate to break out the 99 sovereign with 7 hrs and a triad for plowing.

Is the vent in place or stopped up? This will build pressure in the case and puke oil out in all kinds of spots if it's missing or plugged.

I think Daves on it: you said it leaked more after you tightened the plug...isn't that when pressure may start to build in the case causing it to seep from path of least resistance (lower seals) verify if it does leak less with the vent plug off, or blow out the vent to be sure its breathing... Good Luck ?
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Is the vent in place or stopped up? This will build pressure in the case and puke oil out in all kinds of spots if it's missing or plugged.

Good thinking I will check the breather tonite, although I had to hold it up to fill the trans. I am running a napa filter on this rig for the first time since I've owned it