Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Narrow front project.

SimplicitySwede

Im making a narrow front end out of a regular FDT LT front end. Im just cutting the front end down and shortening it. I have debated with putting a hole in the frame for the spindles to fit through and have the steering arm come on the top side of the frame. Or just have the steering arm go on the bottom side of the frame. Any pointers?

SEE THIS...[url]http://gardentractortalk.com/section/allis-chalmers-b-10-narrow-front-162/[/url] Allis Chalmers B-10 Narrow Front done by Tractor Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
SEE THIS...[url]http://gardentractortalk.com/section/allis-chalmers-b-10-narrow-front-162/[/url] Allis Chalmers B-10 Narrow Front done by Tractor Mike
I've already posted a link to Mike's tractor and story in the archives here for him, but I don't know if he followed the link... :(

Im doing this to a Lawn Tractor. not a Garden Tractor its a little different set up im doing. Im getting it figured out tho

I used a lawn mower arbor off a simplicity mower that was junk .Took a piece of round stock and weleded a cross bar for the wheels.Cut a slot in the arbor for a flat bar for steering (make sure you have the bar come out the right side) bolted it to the frame and put small tires on it and away you go. With a few set collars.If I was any good at posting pictures I would put them on.Hope this helps Bob

• 6 months later...
I came home from Wisconsin for a month andI finally got this together. Used mostly simplicity parts except for steering linkage and front wheels. It looks pretty good. I don't have away to upload pics right now but I'll try to post some soon. If any of you guys have me on facebook you can share the pics on here if you don't mind. It don't turn extremely sharp but it ain't bad. My buddies gap has a lx172 Deere with a bad tranny and a 14 hp Kawasaki and a yard machine with a 14 hp Briggs. He wants 125 for both. I think I'll but the Kawasaki in this if it will fit. This Lt started out as a homesteader and now has 728 sheet metal. Thinking about calling It a 728 or a 738 custom. Anyone else got any names for it? I'll try to get you pics soon. I don't have my computer since I'm in WI. Using my sisters iPad right now and her computer is slow. Also I'm thinking about gettin a tiller for it. The rear end on it has a smaller pulley on the opposite sit of the rear end then the drive pulley. It's not like that on any of my other tractors. Could it be a homesteader thing? The other ones don't have a shaft for the pulley.

Pics. Its amazing how i didnt have to cut the sheet metal for the steering linkage just gonna run it gettin an engine to fit. might have to raise the engine. it i do that i think only and 8hp will fit. Id like to go bigger but i dont think it will fit with out cuttin the hood

Hey Swede, When it comes time to repaint it, go ahead and throw a coat of orange on that green thing behind it.

Nice fab work Jared dOd I always thought the narrow fronts were a bit strange/impractical on garden tractors. But after seeing yours I've changed my mind. Besides reminding me of my teen years on the farm it also looks alot better on that tractor model. The lower stance and the wrap-around bumper looks great with your front spindle set-up...Nice job ^:DdOd

ps...I forgot to ask. Are you gonna mow with that? or dirt work? or just for show? It seems like it will be very manuverable for mowing around things...and get alot of passers watching OO

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
ps...I forgot to ask. Are you gonna mow with that? or dirt work? or just for show? It seems like it will be very manuverable for mowing around things...and get alot of passers watching OO
. I wanna get a tiller for it. Don't turn anything like my farmalls. It might have a 4 foot turning radius.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I picked up a LX172 Deere for the Kawasaki and a Yard Machine with a 14.5 Briggs for this. I wanted to use the Kawasaki which is a 14 horse. I have a junk grill i was gonna cut up and use with the Kawasaki because the engine is too long. I got the engine bolted down and started putting the wiring harness in and had troubles. so i changed my mind on the Kawasaki soi dont have to cut the sheet metal. I guess I could try the Briggs but prolly the same problem. heres some pics of my work that i changed my mind on lol http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/SimplicitySwede/Toys/1972%20Allis%20Chalmers%20Homesteader%208/